two pc's one internet connection

User-607600DE-6B22-4475-8CD565A723204C45 18:00 03 Mar 2008

i have a pc that i just want to connect to the internet to update software and then not use on the internet for the forseeable future.
i am with virgin media can i install the software and have my second pc connect then shut down and reconnect my main pc.
i do not want to buy a router as i just want to do this one operation.
i have an ethernet connection only.

chub_tor 18:17 03 Mar 2008

Do both PCs have ethernet connectors? If so you can connect them with a crossover cable to set up an interim network, download the files and then drag them across.

Terry Brown 18:33 03 Mar 2008

No problem
Plug the RJ45 into the computer you want to upgrade, if the internet is not already set up, gopto setup and select manual, always on.re-start machine and download,do not foeget - if you have no antivirus software you will become infected with virus's and /or trogans.
When ready unplug and connect to your other machine and do the same.
Terry

they do but i would prefer to access individually.
the second pc may end up my primary pc it was given to me as a cast off but is an athlon dual processor but has had a fault which i want to eliminate with internet access.sounds complicated but i am quite good at re-building pc's but a little bit green with networking issues.

thanks terry,

that means i dont have to install any software just manually connect via internet options.
one of the reasons for the conection was to update anti virus software to stop anoying msgs.

martjc 19:24 03 Mar 2008

...Once you swap to the other pc, you will probably have to reboot the modem. Simple case of unplugging it for a few secs, them plug it in again. If you can't connect, reboot the pc too.

such a simple solution but i wasnt quite sure thanks for the responses problem solved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?