Two O/S's

Blubottle 19:39 03 Dec 2008

I have installed a second O/S on my slave HDD (XP). What I wanted to achieve was a dual boot option. How do I select the required O/S My M/B is an ASUS A7N8X delux. tapping the F8 key during boot does not show this second O/S.
regards

norman47 19:45 03 Dec 2008

You must install the second operating system via the first to create a dual boot. i.e. load XP from the first windows system and the select the slave drive as the drive to install it.

Also your first operating system must be equivalent or below windows XP.

What IS your first operating system?

Blubottle 20:14 03 Dec 2008

JC that was quick, thanks.
my primary O/S is Win 2K pro.

Zeppelyn 20:47 03 Dec 2008

Is Windows XP actually installed on slave drive? If you installed XP from CD and pointed it to slave drive it should have done the necessary to create your boot menu. If its installed you can access by amending your boot.ini in the root of "C"

Also the Win 2000 version of ntldr (which should be on root of "C" also cannot boot XP, you need to copy the XP version to "C"

Switcher 21:38 03 Dec 2008

It looks like what you are trying to achieve is to have two operating systems on your PC one on one disk and one on the other. You then want to determine which system to boot to by altering the boot order in the bios. You will have to enter the bios to alter the boot menu. There is usually a key to press during boot up to change the order for the next boot only and another key to press during the boot up to enter the bios to change the default boot order. Either could be Esc,f2,f11,del etc. A dual boot system usually refers to having two operating systems on the same disk.

woodchip 22:36 03 Dec 2008

You need to download a Boot Manger off Google

Blubottle 15:44 04 Dec 2008

Many thanks woodchip that worked.
next question, can I get the XP file transfer wizard to transfer files from one HD to the other.

woodchip 15:49 05 Dec 2008

I would think so if they are both NTFS like one XP ntfs and VISTA ntfs

Blubottle 17:18 05 Dec 2008

thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?