Two Network ID's on the same LAN

Follyfarm 15:06 16 Jan 2015

Hi, I have three totally identical PC's running windows 7 pro and they all are hardwired to a BT wireless router (BTHUB3). For some reason there are two networks on my LAN. I am assuming that one is the SSID (Wi-Fi) and the other a standard network (Called 'Network 4'). Why would PC1 & PC2 pick up the SSID network (They have no Wi-Fi facility) and PC3 pick up 'Network 4'. I've tried to uninstall/install the network adapters on PC2 & PC3 but the SSID & 'Network 4' network always reappear, respectively. This is causing me HOMEGROUP issues and a particular network program I use that needs all PC's on the same network ID. Any ideas?

Jollyjohn 16:10 16 Jan 2015

Odd - try this - go into BT Hub and switch off wireless, temporarily.

On PC's go to Control panel - on the summary page look for PC name - and workgroup name - this is either MSHOME or WORKGROUP - check it is the same for all three computers.

Network 4 indicates that there have been 3 previous connections, to the network, not sure why W7 does this.

Make sure all three PC's are on either a Home network option

Follyfarm 11:00 21 Jan 2015

Thanks Jollyjohn,

Sorry for the tardy response, been away.

I switched off Wi-Fi, all PC's are on the Homegroup and on the 'Home' network but same problem exists.

I've attempted several times to fix this, hence the 'Network 4' but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone explain why a router (BT Hub3) would choose a 'WIFI' network as opposed to a 'wired' network for a PC, even though the PC concerned has no wifi ability?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?