two monitors working off one pc

hazzilee 10:36 20 Nov 2010

Hi,

I don't know if this is possible or not, but I want to run two monitors off one pc. The idea is that I use MS Word and can put one document on one monitor whilst writing on the other monitor.. Any ideas or anwers? Cheers

gengiscant 11:03 20 Nov 2010

Its a very simple process, but you omitted a necessary fact, what graphics card are you using?
Info click here
A bit more reading click here

Ian in Northampton 11:14 20 Nov 2010

If you don't have a suitable graphics card - and it sounds like you don't - then you just need to get a 'dual head' graphics card - i.e. one that has ports that allow you to attach two monitors. From the sound of it, your needs aren't great, so a fairly simple/inexpensive card is all you need. Something like this:

click here

Two things to look out for:

1. If yours is an older PC, it may only have support for AGP graphics - you'd need to check this out. Newer PCs use PCI Express. Make sure the card you choose has the right support.

2. Typically, a dual head graphics card will come with one VGA out and one DVI out. The impact of this is that one of the two monitors you use will need to support DVI in - or you'll need an adaptor.

hazzilee 11:48 20 Nov 2010

Ill have alook at my graphic card when im back home

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone