Two laptops - one won't connect to inet wirelessly

Chilliflake 01:50 15 Nov 2009

Hi, here is our problem:

We have two laptops. One connects wirelessly instantly and with no problems. The other won't and has to be connected directly to the wireless router by ethernet in order to have internet access. The background is as follows:

We always had one laptop and this connected wirelessly with no problems for almost two years until we got a second laptop and that's when the problem started. As soon as the new laptop arrived and connected to the internet wirelessly, the original laptop stopped doing that. Both laptops say there is an excellent wireless connection but only one connects to the internet.

We have a D-link router and a Thompsom modem. I don't know much about the technicalities but have been trying to fix it by searching for help on the net. It seems to me from various searches that it is an IP address problem. The new laptop has an IP address starting 192 etc whereas the original laptop now has an IP address starting 169.254, which I've read indicates that the DCHP (?) server cannot be contacted by that laptop and hence an IP address cannot be assigned automatically by that server so Windows assigns one itself and therefore the laptop cannot be reached by the wireless router (does this sound right?)

It is really frustrating and is driving us mad. The original laptop just won't connect at all now tonight even with the ethernet connected directly to the router as it always has done. The error message coming up is talking about the failure to acquire an IP address.

We have spoken to our ISP on a number of occasions and they have said that the wireless router is working properly as my laptop connects to it with no problems so that the problem is not at their end. The original laptop is a Dell so we've been on to their helpdesk and they were unable to fix it from their end and they charged us over £80 to have the technician help us remotely. They said to contact the ISP again. The ISP are washing their hands of it and saying it's not at their end.

Besides the fact that the original laptop won't connect at all now, it's really painful to have to connect by ethernet on the days when it does work as it means having to sit beside the router and takes the mobility that wireless access offers away from us. It also means having cables all over the place which is annoying.

We just can't seem to get help or any response from anywhere so I would be extremely grateful if anybody could offer some help or advice.

Thanks all,

CF

User-1229748 05:26 15 Nov 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone