Two hard drives in one pc

gkford 08:19 07 Mar 2008

I have now (with the help of this helpline)installed a new hard drive in my pc,via the sata conecter. The other hard drive is installed via IDE connections but the ide cables are disconnected.This hd is installed as master. I am now wondering if I can now connect this drive and what will happen, leaving both connected.

Gongoozler 08:28 07 Mar 2008

Hi gkford. There is no problem with connecting additional drives. You may have to change a BIOS setting for the IDE drives to be detected.

xania 10:20 07 Mar 2008

I trieds this on one occasion and found that the system insisted on booting from the IDE drive rather than the SATA drive. I never followed this through as I was able to connect via a USB alternative, but be aware you may also have problems.

Fingees 10:36 07 Mar 2008

You can connect IDE, no problem, but make sure your sata disk is selected to boot first in bios, as it will otherwise attempt to boot from the IDE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:19 07 Mar 2008

As above but the SATA disk maywell be labeled as a SCCSI.

gkford 11:49 07 Mar 2008

Have now reconnected the Ide drive, both drives now connected. On booting up windows says I have a C drive and also F drive, so I think this must be it. Many thanks for your most helpfull replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?