Two hard drives change in function

olyman 13:36 07 Aug 2014

I have two hard drives installed. One contains the programmes the other is used for data. The data drive"D" is faster than the basic "C" drive. I would like to change the faster drive to be the "C" drive but retain the data on that drive within a seperate new "D" partition. I would then use the slower drive as a back-up drive. I already have an external drive for additional back-up. What is the simplest way to do this. I don't want to be involved in the transfer of the large volume of data if at all possible. My OS is Windows 7.

Jollyjohn 13:57 07 Aug 2014

First copy / backup D drive.

Then shrink the partition on D drive You need a new partition of "Used space on C drive + 25%" This new partition must be at the start of the drive.

Clone existing C drive to the new partition

Once complete disconnect it and connect existing D drive as first drive.

To clone I recommend Macrium reflect - download, burn to CD.

When you attempt to boot from the cloned drive it may fail, boot from Macrium CD and "Fix windows boot problems"

Once running re connect old C drive and format it to use as storage.

If you need a partitioning tool I can recommend PartedMagic - it is only available as a paid for item $4.99 a sound investment. It also contains cloning tools but I have not used it for that yet.

olyman 15:33 07 Aug 2014

Thanks Jollyjohn. I take it that shrinking the D drive can be done without interfering with the existing data on that drive? Will the freed space need formating and if so can just the new partition be formated? Can the partitioning be done using Windows Disk Management without the need for a third party tool? I assume that the disconecting and connectng is just swapping plugs around. I already have a Macrium disk image from shortly after I first installed W7. It might be a good idea to go back to the beginning and get rid of the crap accumulated over the years. Perhaps that would be one step too far at this stage.

Jollyjohn 16:21 07 Aug 2014

First copy / backup the data on D drive - if anything goes wrong it will be gone.

Windows Disk management is not up to the job. Does not allow for positioning of the partition.

Yes just swap plugs around as needed

If you have an image you could restore that to the new partition and rebuild W7 from that, not a bad idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017