Two Hard Drives

carper 11:45 13 Feb 2008

Some time ago I added a second hard drive without formatting either drive and now realize that I have two copies of windows, one on each disk. Is this any detriment and the cause of my computer booting up very slowly. Can I delete one of them and if so which one. Any help appreciated. Regards Carper

Gongoozler 11:56 13 Feb 2008

Your active Windows files are almost certainly on the Primary Master drive - usually the C drive. You can confirm this by simply unplugging the second drive. If I'm right, you can save disk space by deleting the Windows files from the second drive. I think it's most unlikely that this is causing the slow boot up. Try clicking Start - Run. Type in msconfig, then click OK. In the System Configuration window, click on the Services tab. Click to tick the "Hide All Microsoft Services", then Disable All. OK out of the System Configuration Utility. Restart the computer, ignore the warning about having used the System Configuration Utility. If the boot time is faster, incrementally re-enable the Services a few at a time STARTING WITH THE ANTIVIRUS, until you find the cause of the slow boot-up.

carper 09:55 14 Feb 2008

Thanks for that I think it answers my question Regards Carper

exwirecutter 09:49 15 Feb 2008

You did not mention if the second drive had the jumpers set up for ' slave '

carper 15:17 15 Feb 2008

exwirecutter.
To be honest I don't know. I think it was just installed as extra drive space.
Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?