Two drives showing

jam500 09:50 08 Jan 2007

Hi, Im running windows xp sp2. I have just installed a new hard drive from a 60gb 5200rpm to a 80gb 7200rpm drive and i used a free program to to copy my old drive over. The problem is aswell as a c drive showing there is also an f drive showing with the following folders in it, recycler and system volume information which is empty. This is taking up some hard drive space which defeats the opject of a bigger drive. Any ideas as why it would have an f drive on it and can i get rid of it, And is there a product to make the new drive a bit quieter as its louder than the original. There is only the new drive in and not a master and slave set up.

Dan S 10:07 08 Jan 2007

Without seeing the system, it sounds like your free application has created an additional partiton on your new hard-drive. This is easily dealt with, however. Right Click on My Computer, and click on Manage. Once there, click on the 'Disk Management' option in the left-hand pane under 'Storage'. Your disk (C:\) should then be visable in the pane in the top-middle.

Click on it, and underneath you should be given a graphical representation of your disk. If the F:\ drive is appended to the C:\ drive, right click on that section and delete/remove it. You may need to use a 3rd-party partition manager to increase size of your main partition as XP doesn't seem to like that idea. I personally use partition magic, but I've seen some free solutions that unfortunately I can't remember off the top of my head.

Hope this helps.

jam500 10:19 08 Jan 2007

Thank you Dan S that has got rid of it i will search for a free program to get the rest of the space back, If anyone knows of any i would be very gratefull.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?