Two copies of MS Office 2000 on C: drive

Awestruck 22:28 24 Jul 2006

A friend's computer has two copies of MS Office 2000 on the C: drive. As she is short of drive space I wish to remove one copy. I used regedit and found that only the copy in the Program files folder is registered. As the other copy does not appear in the registry or in the add/remove programs can I safely remove the duplicate copy by simply deleting the folder using Shift delete? The unregistered duplicate copy seems to be a a faithful copy of the installation CD complete with cab files readme files etc.

Regards
Awestruck

VoG II 22:41 24 Jul 2006

I would be very careful here. Use Delete (not Shift-Delete) and check that Office still works before emptying the bin. Even then, make sure she has the installation disks before doing this.

Simsy 22:54 24 Jul 2006

"The unregistered duplicate copy seems to be a a faithful copy of the installation CD complete with cab files readme files etc." I'd burn the said contents to a CD and consider it an installation CD.

Installations often work quicker from a HDD than from a CD, so it may be that the CD was copied to the HDD and installed from there. Sometimes the installation discs are needed to add a feature, or when a repair is needed. If the original installation was from the HDD, a subsequent need for the installation files may mean that the system looks on the HDD first and then brings a "can't find" message. This shouldn't prove to be a problem if you can then browse to the CD.

Other than that, I echo what VoG™ says!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?