Twin Tuner with SKY Freesat???

geoffring 15:15 11 Jun 2008

At my holiday caravan I have an analogue TV,and a dodgy FreeView set up ( Thames Valley bad ariel reception is the problem so that system is going to be binned!) However,I recently had SKYFreesat installed along side the Freeview system. Interestingly I find I can record any SkyFreesat channel onto my ancient bog standard tape video player whilst at the same time watch a different channel - but terrstrial only! (Naturally if the Freeview reception was OK I could use that system alongside SKYFreesat for viewing a different digi service at the same time of recording SKY but I can't - thus the restriction of analogue only)

MY PLAN:-
After I bin Freeview I want to fix up a TWIN TUNER hard drive TV recorder with FREEVIEW facility - just in case!!) to the SKY system and discard the old tape video player. The idea is to watch one SKY Freesat channel whilst recording another SKY Freesat channel. My questions are:-

(a)IS THIS POSSIBLE? WILL IT WORK? Or have SKY made this duel reception impossible with the FreeSat box just to get users to upgrade and spend money?

(b)If it is possible, will I have to retain my TV freeview box to the link in order to compensate for the TV being analogue only?

PS.
I've found the connection details on our site for a similar recording system to SKYFreesat but this only related to a SINGLE TUNER VCR/DVD recording system.It said nothing about the viability of using TWIN TUNERS for duel reception with the SKYFreesat box.

Many Thanks

geoffring

woodchip 15:21 11 Jun 2008

Yes I have a Recorder that does that, however if you are recording two channels that are on at the same time you can only watch analog, or one of the two you are recording. I think mine is a Dawooe. think thats how its spelled, with a 160gb drive in it

geoffring 12:47 12 Jun 2008

I'm not looking to record two digi channels at once so there won't be a problem there.

Does your Dawwooe have FREE VIEW installed? If so, do you use the 'input select'button ( This maybe a SONI term?) to tune it into the SKY channels? My FREE VIEW SONI hardrive/DVD TV recorder at home has this facility so I can tune into my Tape video recorder to convert tapes to CD.

Oh! and finally. Will I still need to retain my connection to the TV FREEVIEW box as my TV is analogue only? Or does the FREESat SKY box do this job itself?

Cheers and thanks for responding to me.

geoff

geoffring 12:54 12 Jun 2008

Will this FreeSat PVR be for SKY only? Any idea of the cost as you can get a TV hard drive recorder with twin tuner ( 80gb and with an additional FREEVIEW facility) for around a £100 to £125 these days.

Cheers and thanks,

geoff

geoffring 13:06 12 Jun 2008

I'm not looking to record two digi channels at once so there won't be a problem there.

Does your Dawwooe have FREE VIEW installed? If so, do you use the 'input select'button ( This maybe a SONI term?) to tune it into the SKY channels? My FREE VIEW SONI hardrive/DVD TV recorder at home has this facility so I can tune into my Tape video recorder to convert tapes to CD.

Oh! and finally. Will I still need to retain my connection to the TV FREEVIEW box as my TV is analogue only? Or does the FREESat SKY box do this job itself?

Cheers and thanks for responding to me.

geoff

woodchip 13:51 12 Jun 2008

Yes it as freeview You cannot tune to anything it scans for channels but two can be recorded at the same time, if you have a scart on the back of your tv it just plugs in, freeSat as to come in from a Dish Antenna in to decoder, I have a Mobile one that I shall be plugging into my system, Works of 230volts AC or 24volts DC or 12volts DC this should plug into my recorder, but if not it will mean just recording from screen as I am not sure if it will pickup the sat signal

laurie53 18:37 12 Jun 2008

I'm a bit confused.

I thought Freesat was a BBC thing, totally separate from Sky?

Can someone clarify?

chub_tor 19:05 12 Jun 2008

Freesat website click here

woodchip 23:30 12 Jun 2008

Freesat uses the same satellite as Sky, But is a joint venture of BBC and ITV

laurie53 06:52 13 Jun 2008

That's what I thought, but there are several references above to Sky/Freesat/FreesatSky

BRYNIT 07:56 13 Jun 2008

If I have read this correctly you are going to use a twin tuner HD free view receiver. This will not allow you to record one sky freesat channel and view another as the sky freesat box can only tune to one channel at a time.

You will need either a Freesat PVR as ßeta has suggested or a second freesat box this will also require the single LNB being replaced with twin and more cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone