Tweaking a new computer

Trikie 22:34 31 Jan 2005

Having got used to a now defunct computer that had XP Home I'm trying to get the new one - using the same XP disk- to present menus, etc in the same view format (as lists showing the file type for each entry). I now get the picture icons and have to manually change every screen to list - is there any way to do a global change?

Also new to me is a constant flow of Messenger pop-ups warning of spyware etc. Are these genuine warnings or just adverts? What is messenger useful for?

Similarly every time I go onto the internet (Blueyonder broadband) there is a pop-up asking if I want to install Macromedia Flash Player 7. What does this do and if I don't want it can I block the pop-up?

VoG II 22:36 31 Jan 2005

Pop-ups click here

Technotiger 22:41 31 Jan 2005

Flashplayer is ok - it enables animations in IE.

Cheers.

sidecar sid 22:42 31 Jan 2005

Macromedia flash player

click here

Trikie 22:55 31 Jan 2005

Thanks everyone.

I've disabled Messenger and will install Macromedia - that just leaves the Icons to List if anyone can help.

nick_j007 23:03 31 Jan 2005

I have found this problem too with the 'list' issue.

I think it varies depending on how you've set up each folder.

But try Tools, Folder Options, View to get going.

HTH,

Nick

Completealias 23:19 31 Jan 2005

Open a folder and set the view to the format you want for all folders ie list, details, icons etc. Then tools / folder options / view tab / click button which reads apply to all folders. Now all folders that you open will use the view you set

Trikie 23:34 31 Jan 2005

Thanks Compleatealias. Perhaps you could also tell me how to get the each windows within a file to open up at full screen size so that I don't have to enlarge each one individually.

Completealias 00:12 01 Feb 2005

Will have a look and get back to u in the mean time have found how to always open a prog maximised. Right click on the shortcut on the shortcut tab the run box then select maximised window

Completealias 00:12 01 Feb 2005

Right click then properties sorry

Trikie 00:41 01 Feb 2005

Thanks again - I'm beginning to get it all looking like the old one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017