Tweak UI for Vista - Login

nicktoeman 22:23 23 Jun 2009

For my desktop PC I use TweakUI on XP and, in particular, the login tweak which allows me choose which user accounts to display when the machine is switched on. I have a main, everyday, account plus two others - one for confidential information and one for testing new applications and setups; the main account is not password protected. The extra accounts are usually unchecked in TweakUI so that the PC logs straight in to the everyday user account. Only when I have trial or confidential work to do do I check these accounts so that they are displayed and I can switch to them. I find this arrangement convenient and it also provides an useful level of extra security by not revealing areas I wouldn't want others to tamper with.
My laptop runs Vista. I am aware of TweakVI but cannot see that it provides this function. Does anyone know where I can find the equivalent tweak (preferably freeware)? If not, is there another way of doing it? Is there a simple registry edit for example (not ideal)?

phono 22:29 23 Jun 2009

Is this what you are looking for? click here

Sea Urchin 22:42 23 Jun 2009

As well as Tweak VI there is also TweakUI for Vista - I haven't used it but worth having a look

click here

nicktoeman 23:13 23 Jun 2009

Thanks Phono. I will study that closely. It seems from the discussion that some have found this rather tricky or can't make it work but I may try it. I'd prefer something that takes care of the risks inherent in messing with the Registry.
SeaUrchin - I'll take another look but didn't see that feature listed. I prefer not to install programs I then have to uninstall because it all adds to the accumulation of rubbish in the registry.
Thanks both of you. (Any more ideas welcome).

nicktoeman 00:20 24 Jun 2009

Searching further I found a program called TweakVista. It's not freeware, it costs £12.
Although the feature I want isn't explicitly mentioned one of the screen shots shows the panel with the Security tab selected. This has a section headed Login Requirements and under that are 3 choices: it defaults to "Require a password to login" but there is also an option "Automatically login as a particular user".
This looks like it would pretty much replicate how I use TweakUI at present. I checked CNET Reviews and they rate it highly. I might give it a go (unless there are any further suggestions).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?