Since installing Sony digital camera software, I am unable to use my Epson 1240U scanner. I am asked to install the TWAIN driver. It is installed. In EPSON SMART PANEL, no windows are shown at the bottom of the window - no reference to Twain 5 as there should be. I'm on Win98SE. How do I resolve this conflict?
Don't recognise those files; perhaps they came from the Sony installation.
It is possible that one of the installations overwrote them and then, on uninstallation, deleted them. This MAY be the problem. The two files are in Win98_66.cab on the Win 98 installation disk. Twain.dll and twain_32.dll are in the Win98_64.cab file.
Change the names of the .dll files if they exist as above.
To replace the files, do the following:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type sfc, and then press ENTER.
3. Click Extract one file from installation disk.
4. In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type drive:\windows\path\file (where drive is the drive where the Windows folder is installed, generally drive C, path is the destination of the file that you are extracting, and file is the file that you want to extract).
5. Click Start, click Browse next to the Restore from box, and then locate the Windows installation files. By default, in the OEM version of Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition the installation files are on the hard disk in the C:\Cabs folder. With a retail full version or upgrade version, you can also insert the Windows installation CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then locate the Windows installation files. The folder is named "Win9x". For example, if your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is D:, the folder is named "D:\Win9x". For Windows 98, the folder is named D:\Win98.
6. Click OK, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
Try the scanner again - you may have to reboot first.