TWAIN driver not recognised

Prospero 10:59 27 Feb 2005

Since installing Sony digital camera software, I am unable to use my Epson 1240U scanner. I am asked to install the TWAIN driver. It is installed. In EPSON SMART PANEL, no windows are shown at the bottom of the window - no reference to Twain 5 as there should be. I'm on Win98SE.
How do I resolve this conflict?

FelixTCat 11:35 27 Feb 2005

Reinstall the Epson software - the Sony software has overwritten part of it.

Prospero 11:53 27 Feb 2005

Thank you FelixTCat
I have re-installed the Epson software and no luck there.

handy4x 12:07 27 Feb 2005

are you useing the latest drivers from epson as i had siilar problems that went away with the latest drivers

Prospero 12:14 27 Feb 2005

I will look for the latest drivers, but have now un-installed all camera software and still no luck.

Prospero 12:15 27 Feb 2005

I will look for the latest drivers, but have now un-installed all camera software and still no luck.

Prospero 12:23 27 Feb 2005

Latest TWAIN driver installed - still no little boxes in EPSON SMART PANEL as there should be.

FelixTCat 12:29 27 Feb 2005

Before you try this, make a boot disk (Control Panel - Add and Remove Programs). Go to c:\Windows, find twunk_16.exe and twunk_32.exe and rename them to .exo

Reboot and try to install the new twain drivers again.

In case win 98 will not load, boot from the boot disk, cd to c:\windows and change the names back again (ren twunk_16.exo *.exe).

Prospero 12:45 27 Feb 2005

Thanks FelixTCat for your detailed instructions. I can only find Twunk001.mtx, 002.mtx and 003.mtx
I've done a search for twunk_16.exe and 32.exe but nothing came up. What next?

FelixTCat 13:11 27 Feb 2005

Don't recognise those files; perhaps they came from the Sony installation.

It is possible that one of the installations overwrote them and then, on uninstallation, deleted them. This MAY be the problem. The two files are in Win98_66.cab on the Win 98 installation disk. Twain.dll and twain_32.dll are in the Win98_64.cab file.

Change the names of the .dll files if they exist as above.

To replace the files, do the following:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type sfc, and then press ENTER.

3. Click Extract one file from installation disk.

4. In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type drive:\windows\path\file (where drive is the drive where the Windows folder is installed, generally drive C, path is the destination of the file that you are extracting, and file is the file that you want to extract).

5. Click Start, click Browse next to the Restore from box, and then locate the Windows installation files. By default, in the OEM version of Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition the installation files are on the hard disk in the C:\Cabs folder. With a retail full version or upgrade version, you can also insert the Windows installation CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then locate the Windows installation files. The folder is named "Win9x". For example, if your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is D:, the folder is named "D:\Win9x". For Windows 98, the folder is named D:\Win98.

6. Click OK, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Try the scanner again - you may have to reboot first.

Prospero 13:53 27 Feb 2005

I have found Win98_66.cab and Win98_64.cab on my Dell recovery disc. I don't understand 'change the names of the .dll files ....' Can you elaborate?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017