TV/Monitor Resolution Query

shaduf 20:59 24 Jul 2007

Looking to buy a TV that will also serve as a monitor for a laptop.
Looking at an LG 22LS4R 22" High Def TV from eBuyer at £235 delivered. Seems a bargain even if not too good as a monitor.
Resolution is given as 1680x1050 but the highest the NVidia graphics go on the laptop are 1400 x 900. Not sure of the significance of this.
Any advice please.
Thanks.
Shaduf

The Kestrel 21:31 24 Jul 2007

Firstly, do you have a TV out connection on your laptop so that you can connect up the TV and use it as a monitor?

Secondly, if the maximum resolution on your laptop is 1400 X 900, then this is the highest resolution the TV will be able operate at when connected to your laptop.

shaduf 21:44 24 Jul 2007

Thank you Kestrel.
Yes the laptop has a VGA connector and also an HDMI. The LG has an HDMI input so you would think they would marry up OK. However if I plug the laptop into a Samsung 26" HDTV using HDMI the picture is poor and ghosting but if I use the VGA input on the Samsung TV the quality is perfect. The Samsung TV has a resolution of 1360 x 768 incidentally.
Thanks again for your response.

woodchip 22:14 24 Jul 2007

The Laptop Will be no good for the TV, You have to have a DVI out to connect to HDVI on the TV. But for a Plain good 22ins monitor click here

woodchip 22:15 24 Jul 2007

It should work if as ou say it's a HDMI out

woodchip 22:18 24 Jul 2007

PS only problem I find using a LCD TV is I cannot use Acronis True Image to Restore a Image, I have to Connect a Monitor to do it. As it does not show any startup screen, It goes strait to Windows Loading Screen. Mine is a 32ins LCD

shaduf 00:07 25 Jul 2007

Thanks Woodchip,
Your click here, (the LG Monitor) looks almost identical spec to the LG TV Monitor/TV I am interested in and I feel I might just as well spend another £30 and have the TV facility.
It's the 1680 x 1050 that confuses me. That's actually 16:10 widescreen ratio for one thing.

My concern is that the laptop graphics only go to 1400:900 whereas the LG Monitor/TV is 1680 x 1050. Unless the LG downscales to match the laptop resolution. There is a web site with dozens of user reviews on it and they all say it works fine as a monitor especially with a 360 Box and PS box. They items are of no interest to me but it perhaps suggests that the monitor sets itself to suit whatever is put into it.
Thanks again.
Shaduf

woodchip 00:11 25 Jul 2007

I cannot fill the screen on my 32ins when I set the nearest resolution it leaves about 1 ins all way round

woodchip 00:15 25 Jul 2007

PS if you use a TV, it will work as Dual Monitor not just one. You can switch them round. well you can on mine so that the icons are on the TV. With dual Monitor you can drag docs etc from one desktop to the other. it's bit weird doing it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?