TV USB dongle needs a good signal

kjrider 09:48 08 Mar 2008

I bought a little USB dongle for my laptop, to watch freeview when I am away from home. Its work fine with one problem - the little stick antenna is not very sensitive and only my big TV antenna gives a decent signal.

Apart from carting a big TV aerial around with me, has anyone got any ideas?

KJR

Stuartli 10:03 08 Mar 2008

This is a brilliant £10 portable TV aerial from Argos - works a treat with SWMBO's bedroom TV:

click here

You don't need the amplified, more expensive version; only alternative is an aerial amplifier and running the required length of coaxial cable from your main TV aerial to the Freeview dongle.

bjh 10:38 08 Mar 2008

I'm no aerial expert, but my digital usb tv came with one of those poorly-straightened paperclips for an aerial - it's 12cm long, ano only any good for eating cocktail olives.

I found an old extendable aerial from a radio, attached this, and found it worked brilliantly. best reception for me is with it horizontal, and stretched out to only 25-30cm. Longer is actually worse. You might find this works as well as a bought aerial, and is certainly as compact as you can get.

HOWEVER... the hopless little olive-poker has a magnetic base. When attached to a metallic object, such as PC case, the performance of that aerial zooms up... unfortunately, no space for that on my PC box, but have you tried that? Or do have a radiator next to your machine?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017