TV remote control

  chrischambers 23:01 04 Sep 2006

I have a lap top with IR on it. Is there any software that I can control my tv with? I am running XP.

  johnnyrocker 23:50 04 Sep 2006

a bit more of an explanation would help has your tv not got a remote?


  josie mayhem 23:50 04 Sep 2006

Can you expand a little please?

Do you have a TV card in your laptop and what Make is it?

IR could mean that you can connect your mobile if it has IR and software is loaded....

But the important thing at the moment is what tv card have you got on your computer?

  Gemma 14:09 05 Sep 2006

Your laptop has IRDA (Infrared Data Association) support. This is different from TV remote control and not compatible.

  chrischambers 14:14 05 Sep 2006


  woodchip 14:21 05 Sep 2006

Laptop only receives IR, not send

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:24 05 Sep 2006

Laptop should also send IR, as used to copy info to and from another laptop and to /from a phone.

The problem with internalized FIR/IRDA ports on both laptops and Palm devices is that they tend to be either vastly underpowered or using an unfocused beam when compared to TV remotes. The range seems to be lackluster, as the ports are more often designed for use for a connection that's just within a couple of feet, without the inconvenience of wires.

A bigger problem is that IrDA is a specific protocol (set of protocols, really), and it's really unlikely that your TV remote is speaking IrDA. There are a few common de-facto-standard IR remote protocols, but a lot of them are just hacked-together ad-hoc things. It's not impossible that the particular IR hardware in your laptop is flexible enough to speak whatever your TV is expecting, but it's not guaranteed, either.

click here

  woodchip 18:23 05 Sep 2006

A Cheap Remote £5 would be better

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?