TV Recordings wont Play on PC

kat64 20:18 16 Jul 2006

Hi. I have a Goodmans DVD recorder that I use for recording TV shows.Recently My Grandaughter was appearing in the new Dr Who Series and obviously I recorded the episode. onto a DVD+RW disk. This will play back great onto the TV but the format is not recognised by Windows Media Player on my PC.
Is there anyway I can change the format so that I can play it on my PC.
Regards

sean-278262 20:20 16 Jul 2006

get VLC media player.

click here

Plays just about everything I have ever tried with it. Better than WMP in every way if you take the time to set it up.

Out of interest was your daughter a main character in Dr Who or was she an extra either way that is quite an interesting thing to have done.

kat64 20:25 16 Jul 2006

Creature of the nite, Many thanks for the Info.
No my grandaughter was only an Extra but she was chosen for several scenes so I am really a proud Grandad.
Regards

sean-278262 20:30 16 Jul 2006

I am sure you are more than proud of her. Hope VLC works

A

jimv7 21:00 16 Jul 2006

Did you finalise the dvd in the recorder before trying to play it on the puter.

kat64 21:15 16 Jul 2006

jimv7.
hi jimv7, no i didnt finalize the dvd I guess I should have read the Instruction Booklet more thoroughly. Do you reckon if i put the dvd back into the recorder i can still finalize it?
Regards

Batch 11:53 17 Jul 2006

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that it isn't necessary to finalise RWs, just Rs in order to play on a PC / other devices.

jimv7 12:02 17 Jul 2006

Mine will not play on the computer unless the disk has been finalised.

This makes it expensive to use rw disks, if your going to keep what you have burnt it pays to use dvd+/-r disks, obviously depending on the type your recorder uses, then finalise to play on the puter.

john-232317 12:32 17 Jul 2006

Some rw discs can be unfinalised, but I have never tried. Like jim says use a + or - disc.

kat64 00:28 18 Jul 2006

Many Thanks guys for all your inputs
PC Advisor never fails to amaze me, whatever the problem there is someone ready to help.
Kind regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?