TV recorded to DVD RW will not play.

cocteau48 11:47 19 Dec 2008

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder which accepts DVD/R/RW disks and removable RAM disks.
I use the RAM disks nearly 100% of the time with no problems.
Before disposing of my old video recorder I tranfered all my old recordings onto DVD/RW disks which play OK in the Panasonic machine.
They also play in my Aiwa DVD player and on the computer ... so no problems.
Last night a friend asked me to record a program off SKY which meant that I had to use a DVD/RW as opposed to the RAM disk ... it recorded OK and plays back on the Panasonic machine OK but it is not recognized by either the Aiwa machine or the computer. I have taken a copy on the computer using Nero but that still will only play on the Panasonic machine.
Why should disks with material taken from old video tape be OK but not a program recorded direct from the TV?
I also note that when I insert the disk into the computer the annotation of the drive in explorer changes from DVD-Ram Drive (K) to CD Drive (K).

Any pointers please.

bjh 11:58 19 Dec 2008

Does the disk need to be finalised in the Panasonic machine before it'll play elsewhere? It's common with DVD recorders that this is necessary.

cocteau48 12:12 19 Dec 2008

bjh

Doh!.... IDIOT ..... it had been so song since recording onto a RW disk that I had completely forgotten about disk finalization .... and yes it does work.

Many thanks for the reminder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone