TV on PC

AJ25 22:07 30 Nov 2006

How do I get TV on my PC (ideally my laptop)? What can I get? What equipment do I need? Can I get it abroad. will there be costs>

I see lots of options in the PC shops but want to research it first.

citadel 22:22 30 Nov 2006

laptop tv card. various prices.

AJ25 22:25 30 Nov 2006

but what does it do. What will I see?

eedcam 22:42 30 Nov 2006

most cards are freeview you will get the same programmes you get on tv as to what they do they also allow you to record a programme to your hard drive

citadel 22:42 30 Nov 2006

It recieves tv signals the same as your home tv.

Technotiger 22:46 30 Nov 2006
  Stuartli 23:50 30 Nov 2006

If you get a PCI Freeview TV card for your desktop PC you can, with the right card, not only receive all the Freeview TV and radio channels, but also have PVR facilities plus inputs from a VCR, games console etc and record them if you wish.

With a laptop, the mostly likely purchase would be a Freeview USB TV stick which, basically, only has a simple aerial plus a coaxial cable socket to ensure a stronger signal.

terryf 23:54 30 Nov 2006

But be aware no freeview on TV (as in Weymouth) = no freeview on laptop, check with google for free view availablity before you spend

birdface 00:00 01 Dec 2006

Hi, Have a look at this earlier thread, You might get some more information on it,click here

Stuartli 08:54 01 Dec 2006

Freeview coverage check at the Freeview website:

click here

However it's not infallible. Even in good reception areas there can/may be pockets of average or poor reception.

If you have to use a feed from a TV aerial, the aerial needs to be a wideband type to receive all, rather than just some, of the available programmes.

Stuartli 08:55 01 Dec 2006

The same link above provides details of all Freeview TV and radio channels - there are currently just over 90 from Winter Hill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?