TV or monitor

Picklefactory 13:05 12 Jun 2009

Just updating my sons bedroom and looking to replace his pretty dated and rather huge TV. He mainly uses it for Playstation, but has a Sky box just with free channels (We're on Virgin now, but kept the box for his room).
Am I barmy in thinking that I might not require a TV, as the Sky box will act as tuner for the TV side, and the Playstation will not need one either? Or will the monitor not be able to recieve the signals from those?
Monitors seem to be much cheaper and often smaller than TV's and I am feeling very mean today, so want to avoid wasting money unnecessarily.

Any thoughts folks?

OTT_Buzzard 13:42 12 Jun 2009

It's a question of what outputs the sky box has compared to the inputs of the new TV/monitor.

As far as I know, skyboxes have a scart and coax output of which montiors tend to have neither for input. That said you can get scart to DVI convertors which may work - never tried it myself though.

Which version of the playstation does your son have (PS1, PS2 or PS3)?

Picklefactory 13:47 12 Jun 2009

Cheers
He has PS2. I currently have the Sky via scart, and the PS2 can use either composite or scart converter. I'm fairly sure that there are a good selection of monitors with composite input, but the scart thing warrants some further investigation.
Any idea about signal selection? I mean, if I could find a means to say, connect Sky via scart and PS2 via composite, would there be a way to select signal displayed, or would one need to be disconnected when not in use?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017