tv on laptop and pc

moorie 08:25 21 Sep 2006

hi would like to watch tv on my laptop whilst at work and also watch tv on my home pc (sorry two different questions).i have tried it on my home pc before through my cable set top box the picture when small was ok but at full screen was poor,is this a graphics card issue? and will i need to upgrade it? my pc is about four years old,the graphics card is nvidia ge force 4 mx440 with agp8x.ref the laptop i move from site to site has anyone particular experience with a good picture and ariel set up.

Stuartli 09:03 21 Sep 2006

A cheap way of finding out is to buy a USB Freeview digital/analogue dongle/stick such as this one:

click here

You would need a reasonably strong signal (will probably be able to be used with a TV aerial input if necessary).

You would be able to swap it between your laptop and PC as necesseary.

moorie 09:22 21 Sep 2006

thanks for reply,i havent got access to antena at work?,however the home pc would be connected via diggy box s0 not reqd for that ,but picture not too hot would graphics card mentioned previusly better upgraded and produce a clearer picture or is it due to going through the sat top box?

Stuartli 10:53 21 Sep 2006

The dongle has an antenna supplied, but would need a reasonable signal strength being available to bring in all or most TV and radio stations.

Re the graphics card. I use to have the same card but, as far as I can remember, it was never intended to work in the way that you require (or at least it was in the case of the Chaintech model I had).

It's only comparatively recently that TV viewing on PCs has taken off; a more modern card such as the Twinhan Freeview D+A PCI model provides better input facilities.

moorie 11:47 21 Sep 2006

thanks for your help stuartli

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?