TV connection via USB set up.

westgolf 14:58 25 Apr 2009

Hi everyone, can anyone please comment on the quality / function - of TV reception at a laptop - when using a USB connected aerial / reception set up ? I have seen various options that are priced @ £20 - £60 , but wonder if there are other issues to consider ? I do have a TV license. Thanx to all.

Woolwell 15:00 25 Apr 2009

This depends enormously on the quality of the signal being received. It is often better to connect direct to the main aerial rather than the aerial supplied.

Stuartli 15:04 25 Apr 2009

Much of the success of using such devices (and that includes internal PCI TV cards) is down to signal strength and quality.

A cheap way to find out could be this new offering from 7DayShop:

click here

I have an internal Freeview PCI TV card, but it is fed via a feed from an aerial amplifier connected to the main roof TV aerial; picture and sound are first class.

jamesd1981 16:16 25 Apr 2009

hi westgolf i bought a usb plug in adapter from aldi the brand is tevion and was only about £15 you get to wee aerials with it but not much use your two best options are to buy an indoor aerial booster £20 from currys or argos or for the same money you can buy a good quality outdoor aerial or if you have sky you can run an aerial from that to the usb adapter.

Stuartli 16:40 25 Apr 2009

>>..if you have sky you can run an aerial from that to the usb adapter.>>

Sky is a satellite service, not digital terrestrial television...:-)

Re indoor aerials. A 15in TV set used in a bedroom linked to a cheap Freeview set top box works very happily with this indoor TV aerial:

click here

It cost £9.99 from Argos (no need for the more expensive version).

To ensure that all the Freeview stations were picked up, I first scanned the STB after temporarily swapping it with one fed, via an aerial amplifier, from the main TV aerial.

The STB retained the channels in memory and worked perfectly with the bedroom TV afterwards.

jamesd1981 20:43 25 Apr 2009

you get what you pay for you buy cheap crap you get cheap crap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone