Tutorial on transfer of info to new PC?

lexxy_703 13:13 26 Jan 2007

is there such a thing?

i have a new base unit & am keeping all my original keyboard, monitor, printer etc.

i 'think' i need to -

old pc:
drag & drop all files on to my removable HDD,
un-install all programs that i have the original discs for & will be using on new pc

new pc:
install progams from discs,
install drivers as necessary,
drag & drop files from my removable HDD.

any assistance would be gratefully received but please keep it simple (just like me!)

thanks

Technotiger 14:13 26 Jan 2007

This might help ...

click here

lexxy_703 14:25 26 Jan 2007

i should have said - it will be win98se to xp - so i can't use the xp wizard BUT it does help me know what to look for to transfer, i think?!

thanks

Technotiger 14:56 26 Jan 2007

Some more info ...

click here

lexxy_703 14:56 26 Jan 2007

i think i'm getting this a bit muddled! i've just re-read the info on the xp transfer wizard & it seems i can you use it (put xp disc in my old pc, tell it relevant info then put in my new pc). presumably i have to connect up the new pc & install xp before i transfer anything?

if this is the case, will i get into a mess with inly 1 keyboard, monitor etc? i'll have to connect up everything to new, install xp, disconnect & hook back up to old, use transfer wizard, disconnect again & reconnect at new??

sorry for the simple questions...

Technotiger 16:16 26 Jan 2007

Hmmm, to save all that to-ing and fro-ing, it might be better to do as you originally planned, which does look quite feasable.

VoG II 17:37 26 Jan 2007
  lexxy_703 00:36 27 Jan 2007

on checking my new pc, it's already got xp installed so i should be able to use the wizard ok without too much hassle.

thanks for the help TechnoTiger & VoG - keep your fingers crossed for me later today when i attempt it...! ;-)

lexxy_703 18:44 28 Jan 2007

well, it took me a couple of hours (more down to me than the pc!), but all transfered, set up & running at warp speed!!

thanks again for the help guys - sure i'll be back soon asking more questions... ;-)

Technotiger 19:06 28 Jan 2007

Grrreat, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?