Turning Sophos off

Champson 22:19 03 Feb 2005

I am unable to install software - twain driver - for my Visioneer Scanner and have Sophos installed as the virus protection system.
How do pause or unlock the Security Centre (Windows XP)so that the driver will install ?

VoG II 22:24 03 Feb 2005

Start, Run, type in

services.msc

Scroll down to Securirty Centre and double click it. Tou can now turn it off.

You may need to turn off Sophos separately.

Champson 22:39 03 Feb 2005

Thanks very much for your swift reply.
However, the Twain driver still refuses to be installed after the installation process has finished. Any suggestions ?

JIM 22:49 03 Feb 2005

is there any other TWAIN compliant devices, such as a Digital Camera installed?

Champson 00:58 04 Feb 2005

Yes - a camera twain device

JIM 01:31 04 Feb 2005

Check the following which i believe would be the case.

For the scanner to communicate correctly the Still Image Services needs to be running in the background. To check this open the Control Panel and look under Services in Admin Tools.Check to ensure that the Still Image Service is running correctly. (It Likely is)

so,
If all this is OK, I would recommend removing the scanner driver in the following way.

With the scanner still connected go to Device Manager. Under Imaging Devices right click on the scanner and select uninstall.

After this,

disconnect your scanners USB lead and remove the rest of the driver using the
utility if you have one.

Before reinstalling the driver you must restart your PC and then reconnect the scanner.

The following as your running a "camera"

A further cause of the TWAIN error occurring is if there is a conflict with another TWAIN compliant device, such as a Digital Camera or scanning device(including Multifunctional devices.

If you have such a device installed try
removing uninstalling its "software" before reinstalling the "scanner" driver first.

Champson 11:21 04 Feb 2005

Jim
I have looked in the Services folder but there is no list for "Still Image Service"

Thanks

Chris

JIM 16:57 04 Feb 2005

Sorry to be so late.

"Services" via compter management. Scroll down and you will see "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)".Near the bottom.

Provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras.

I have mine set to manual but you need it set to automatic for install of scanner to start with.

JIM 17:03 04 Feb 2005

Imaging Device should be showing your camera when connected in the Device Manager. As will your scanner when installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?