Turning socket off and on - pc powers up

lisa02 19:21 21 Jan 2008

Dell system.

If I turn the wall plug off for whatever reason and turn it back on it causes the PC to attempt to power up.

Power button lights, mini view lights up then fans whir for a few seconds. And then system goes cold without me touching the computer.

Is this a PSU fault?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 21 Jan 2008

Not really,
modern boards have a few milli amps of "power" running through all the time.
The CMOS battery is only there to keep the settings if you disconnect from mains.
You really should leave plugged in and mains sitched on but PC powered off in the normal fahion.

Look in the Power management settings in the BIOS to stop your problem.

lisa02 19:34 21 Jan 2008

I shutdown properly. I disconnected three times from the mains to first be shown how to take a drive panel off, with a techie on the phone. The second time was swapping the drive panel when it was posted out. The third - just now was when I bought a new power surge as I thought that was the issue.

lisa02 19:46 21 Jan 2008

Done that and it all looks like the features are off.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:20 21 Jan 2008

Is there a setting in power management that says something like "manged by operating system"

lisa02 20:52 21 Jan 2008

no

It's when AC power is lost either keep computer off, turn it on or last state.

Then the others are about waking on LAN etc.

Switcher 21:01 21 Jan 2008

Try System properties > Advanced > Settings > system failure Then untick Automatically restart.
That might help

lisa02 21:09 21 Jan 2008

Nope not work.

My other half says our previous computer did the same. He says he remembers me stating "no turning pc off at mains!"

lisa02 21:11 21 Jan 2008

Oops I mean.

No unplugging PC from mains.

lotvic 22:21 21 Jan 2008

"Power button lights, mini view lights up then fans whir for a few seconds. And then system goes cold without me touching the computer"

My Dell has always done this, I consider it to be normal. If you look inside the pc the motherboard light comes on.

I then press the power button on front of Tower to start the pc and boot up into Windows.

I have another pc (not a Dell) that does exactly the same.

lisa02 05:48 22 Jan 2008

Thanks for that. I'll leave it alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?