Turn on Track Changes by default in Word 2007

Jojikiba 10:02 08 May 2007

How can I get it so that the Track Changes function is "On" by default, when I open Word 2007?

Thanks.

Eric10 10:47 08 May 2007

I don't have Office 2007 but you should be able to do it the same way as previous versions by changing your normal.dot template.
First make sure that you can see hidden files. (My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, then select 'Show hidden files and folders'.)
Find normal.dot, by searching if necessary, but the default location for XP and Office 2003 is 'C:\Documents and Settings\'your username'\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates'. If you have any macros or have made changes to your toolbars this would be a good time to save a backup of normal.dot as this is where such information is stored.
Start Word, click 'File, Open', navigate to normal.dot and open it. Turn on 'track changes' and click 'Save' then close Word. Next time you open it your new normal.dot template will be used with 'track changes' turned on by default.

Jojikiba 12:06 08 May 2007

Thanks for the idea, I tried it but it didnt work for me.

Eric10 16:28 08 May 2007

I've just installed a trial of Office 2007 and this worked for me. Search for Normal.dotm and note its location.

Now follow these steps:
1. Click the Office button and Select Open.
2. In the Open dialog box, set 'Files of type:' to 'All Files'.
3. Navigate to the location you noted for the Normal.dotm file and Double-click it.
4. The Normal template will open so you can edit it.
5. Switch on 'Track Changes'.
6. Click 'Save' on the Quick Access toolbar.

The next time you open Word 2007 'Track Changes' will be on.

Jojikiba 03:58 09 May 2007

Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?