turn my website into a file upload service?

Bravo2Red 14:01 02 Jan 2008

Hello,

Basically my website click here has got a lot of space 200000 MB to be exact and 3000000 MB of bandwidth so i wondered if there is anything i could do with all this space maybe a file upload service o what? how do i turn my website into a file upload service or what shall i do with all that space.

Thanks Dan

djbenny 14:18 02 Jan 2008

here are some scripts you may find useful for file uploading

you may want to check with your hosters T&C's though as they might not like their servers to be used in this manor.

click here

Kemistri 16:17 02 Jan 2008

You didn't really mean 200GB of storage and 3TB of transfer, did you?! I don't suppose Amazon.com uses that much.

Forum Editor 18:20 02 Jan 2008

No web hosting company in its right mind is going to hand you that much bandwidth to play with. Try transferring that much data and you'll find your website is shut down within 24 hours.

Offering file upload services via an ordinary web-hosting account will almost certainly contravene the terms of your hosting agreement, and before you even think about doing it I suggest that you read the terms and conditions very carefully.

Forum Editor 18:50 03 Jan 2008

I know I'm always banging on about my favourite hosting company (Heartinternet), but this time there's even more reason - they do allow you to upload unlinked files.

Every Heartinternet customer can upload files to a chunk of free personal server space - You get 25 GB for media files (Photos, Music & Videos) and 5 GB for non-media files. It's a pretty good freebie for anyone who wants access to files from any computer with internet access.

mco 21:58 03 Jan 2008

that's good! Will bear that in mind next time I need a webhost

Forum Editor 17:16 04 Jan 2008

that of course any files uploaded to free server space like this would not be available for download by anyone else, and would not form part of a website, so there aren't any liability issues as far as the host is concerned.

MAJ 20:15 04 Jan 2008

"Every Heartinternet customer can upload files to a chunk of free personal server space - You get 25 GB for media files (Photos, Music & Videos) and 5 GB for non-media files. It's a pretty good freebie for anyone who wants access to files from any computer with internet access."

I don't doubt you FE, but why do they say on their site "All we ask is that files stored on your account are linked to or related to your website"? click here

Will you post a link to where they talk about the free personal server space?

Forum Editor 09:05 05 Jan 2008

"Will you post a link to where they talk about the free personal server space?"

Certainly, it's right there on their homepage - you can't miss it. You're referring to information about web-hosting space, and of course the linked-files rule applies to that, as fourm member suggested.

click here and scroll down the news section, or alternatively click here and it's the third item down.

MAJ 17:05 05 Jan 2008

Thank you, FE, I will read and inwardly digest that later in bed.

Forum Editor 17:48 05 Jan 2008

Make sure you do - I may ask questions later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?