Turn off internal drive?

Muergo 19:17 14 Sep 2010

I have an internal hard drive which is redundant as I put in a bigger one.

It's full and I think it may be slowing everything down.

Can I stop it powering up and only access it for special storage.

Is the answer to take it out and put it in a case, use it as another external drive.?

Note PCA has new subs offer £1 for first three issues plus earphones good deal.! (Permitted advertising)?

ArrGee 19:24 14 Sep 2010

Yes, you can put it in a caddy with it's own switch for whenever it is required.

woodchip 19:27 14 Sep 2010

To save you can take side off PC with power turned of just remove the small power plug with four wires. When you need it you would have to connect the plug before powering up the PC

Muergo 19:33 14 Sep 2010

Alternatively, cos opening the case and pulling off wires not really practical, can I stop it automatically being active unless I specifically choose it, like any other program.

I think I am grasping at straws here, so your next answer will be the last.

john bunyan 21:04 14 Sep 2010

I have a second slave drive (SATA) mounted in a removable caddy in the tower .It goes in on a slide and can be turned on and off with a key. It can be taken out to keep elsewhere, and a flap comes dow to hide where it was. Bought from Maplin.I use it to make an ATI clone of the main drive, about once a fortnight, as well an image on a USB HD.

VOT Productions 21:07 14 Sep 2010

You can make it extenal hard drive with a caddy.

woodchip 21:49 14 Sep 2010

You cannot just turn off a Hard Drive in windows or anything else

john bunyan 22:21 14 Sep 2010

Yes you can with the above removable caddy with a key. In XP it will switch on as well - in W7 you have to have it switched on at the start, Ihave it switched off by default. Advantage of the internal mounted removable caddy is that it otherwise acts as an internal drive, with the transfer speed advantge over an extenal one.Also my USB HD is plugged in to a separate switched plug, and I regularly switch it on and off in W7 with no problems.

Muergo 22:57 14 Sep 2010

Thanks to all for innovative solutions, the key operated built in caddy sounds ideal,
I am going to Staines tomorrow and always browse in Maplin trying not to buy anything but always come out with something I didn't know I needed or a gadget to amuse the gkids but really for me to play with.
Any idea on the Maplin code for the keyed case?

john bunyan 23:09 14 Sep 2010

Here you are.Might only be available on line though.
click here

john bunyan 23:11 14 Sep 2010

Srry Here is code A74FH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017