TuneUp Utilities 2006

iqs 18:22 02 Oct 2007

Hello.Do any of the forum members use this software?.Have you noticed a difference after use?,good or bad?.
Thanks

Technotiger 18:44 02 Oct 2007

I have used it since it first appeared last year. I can't honestly say if it has made any particular difference because my PC is fast enough for me, and I take good care to make sure I don't get hit with nasties of any sort. I like the one-click maintenance, it is quick and I guess it does its job very well. All I can say really, is that I am continually amazed at how many people have so many problems time and time again. I dare to say it - I don't have problems, other than little niggles usually of my own making!

I also use AVG/Sunbelt Pers Firewall/Ad-Aware/CCleaner/AntiSpyware Bot/RegClean(Paid for version) and Diskeeper.

Plus I think my fair share of ordinary Common Sense!

Shortstop 18:52 02 Oct 2007

I regularly used the 'one click' clean up [which is really at least 3 clicks :o)] and believe that it does a good job clearing out the system. The other options such as the Registry cleaner/defrag, start up & the customise are all as good as any other program.

Does it make a marked difference? Well, I'm told by others that my [older] PC is quite fast although personally I've never really noticed a difference. Also the ability to stop non-essential programs launching at start up can free RAM. Be aware though that there are a myriad of free programs that will do the same thing [CCleaner click here, FreeRam XP click here etc.] but it is good having all these together in one place IMHO.

Do I like/recommend it? Well, I've now bought the 2007 version but interestingly this no longer has the one click clean up ....

HTH

Paul

iqs 19:33 02 Oct 2007

Technotiger and Shortstop.Thanks for replying.

Like you both my PC is quite fast,and I probably use the same software as you to maintain its performance.To be honest I don't have any real issues to resolve.

TuneUp Utilities 2006 was recommended to me ,as the saviour of my friends PC.So she says..

Before I purchassed it,I thought I would ask for any good or bad experiences.The feedback from users of Download.com rate it as one of the best.

From the tests I have run,the only findings which would benefit my PC are the suggested interent connection fixes.But I'm not sure if I have selected the correct connection type via Internet Optimization.I have Virgin Cable 20mb .

If you don't mind please,could you confirm the correct internet option,and if I post the results,could you confirm if the recommended changes are necessary.

Thank you for your help.It is appreciated.Cheers

Technotiger 19:38 02 Oct 2007

Before I have even seen your results, I would say, if your pc is working ok and not giving you problems - "if it aint broke, don't fix it" ........

Shortstop 19:53 02 Oct 2007

To be honest, these internet 'optimisation' things very rarely give fantastic improvements. I allowed Tune Up 2006 to change my settings and expected the same kind of results as the old advert for Pentium - where you see someone sitting at a PC looking like they are going at 100mph in an open top car! No such thing happened and I truly say that I cannot see any improvement at all.

If this is the sole reason for the program I would forget it. It is a nice little housekeeping tool [to keep the PC clean & removing rubbish that others won't find] but any more than that is hype.

BR

Paul

mymate 19:55 02 Oct 2007

I have a paid for version and my friend has a 30 day trial .My friends 30 day trial is 6 months old now and still works !!
I dont know if its does any good but i think the same as Shortstop the "one click"clean up is good.

rawprawn 20:04 02 Oct 2007

I used to use it but found it more usefull as a cosmetic assistant than anything else. It's OK but you can do it all yourself with free programs.

iqs 20:51 02 Oct 2007

Technotiger, Shortstop,mymate and rawprawn

I agree,if its not broke ,don't fix it.
I am always wary of products which alledge improved PC performance,especially the paid versions.But this particular one caught my eye.Not sure why.
I will continue to use my trusted applications.
Thanks again for all your help.Regards,Mike

Technotiger 21:01 02 Oct 2007

That is generally the best way ... Cheers!

Spud 16:37 03 Oct 2007

Using windows XP for some reason my internal cd/dvd has stopped working, will light up when machine starts but will not read any discs or play them.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?