Tryring to connect new laptop - problems!

Sapphira C 08:42 14 Aug 2009

Hi, could someone help me please (I am a novice)!

I took delivery of a new Toshiba Satellite L300 25H Wireless Laptop yesterday and when I tried to connect it to the internet I got a message on the screen telling me to contact Belkin (I had never heard of them). I did so and all they can tell me is that someone nearby has a Belkin network and I should chat with them. I don't want any of that.

Now, I am stuck on a screen saying 'select a network to connect to' and showing this Belkin -enabled message again along with others that say 'unsecured network'. I do not have wireless at home. Was I naive in thinking that all I had to do was plug it in and it would be up and running?

Does this also mean I have to buy a wireless router? If so I thought it would be included in the purchase.

Could someone, please, help me out here - in 'layman's speak' if possible.

I am demented this morning!!

Much obliged

Saphhira

ambra4 09:47 14 Aug 2009

“I do not have wireless at home”

You need to “Disable” the wireless card on the Toshiba Satellite Laptop

Start – Setting - Network Connection - Right click-“Wireless Area Connection”- Click “Disable”

“Was I naive in thinking that all I had to do was plug it in and it would be up and running?”

Yes

The Toshiba Satellite L300 25H “Wireless” Laptop will only connect to a wireless broadband

system vie the following method

1 – You have a broadband service to the house either via the phone line or via the cable company

line and connected to a “Modem and a “Wireless Router”

click here

“Wireless Internet”

click here

2 – You have a Mobile Wireless broadband service via an ISP using a special Wireless Adapter

that you connect to a USB port on the laptop

click here

Sapphira C 11:32 14 Aug 2009

Doh!

Thank you so much for both your honestly and your help!

Saph!

ambra4 13:29 14 Aug 2009

Always willing to assist where I can If you have any more questions post back and one of the forum member will assist you

All the best and enjoy your new laptop

Ambra4

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017