Trying to uninstall NOD32 v3

Little Flower 23:25 11 Mar 2009

Hello people, we currently have no antivirus on our Windows XP desktop as my husband is having real problems uninstalling NOD32 v3 so he can install v4.

When he tried to uninstall through 'add/remove programs', as ESET suggest, that didn't work, so he tried deleting it manually as shown in the support section on the ESET site.

click here

All was well until step 7. Program files cannot be completely deleted as it will not allow the deletion of the ekrn.exe file, and the third one cannot be deleted as it says it refers to a location that is unavailable.

Upon boot up of the desktop, NOD32 does not load up but is still in 'Add/remove programs'. He tried to install v4 anyway, but now just gets the following message:

'A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\eav_nt32_enu.msi'

Until this is resolved, we won't use the internet on the desktop (thank goodness for notebooks!), because until NOD32 v3 is gone, we can't put v4 in.

Any advice is eagerly awaited and appreciated!

brundle 23:36 11 Mar 2009

There's a removal tool; click here

brundle 23:39 11 Mar 2009

Very happy with v4 so far by the way, running it on this machine and shortly to replace v3 on several networked machines at work.

Little Flower 00:06 12 Mar 2009

Thanks brundle, but the removal tool hasn't worked.

Did you uninstall v3 first, or just install over it?

When my husband first tried to uninstall, he got the following message:

Another application has exclusive access to the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Logs\virlog.dat'. Please shut down all other applications, then click Retry.

He couldn't find any other apps running!

Any ideas?

Little Flower 00:10 12 Mar 2009

Off to bed now, but will hopefully get this sorted tomorrow. Husband may well just try a system restore if all else fails.

Nighty night all!

brundle 10:59 12 Mar 2009

I removed v3 first, not because I though there'd be problems - I usually install minor upgrades directly over a current installation, but when changing from v3 to v4 I thought a fresh start would be best.

Try the removal tool in Safe Mode - hit F8 a few times at boot up, before the Windows logo appears.

Little Flower 11:40 12 Mar 2009

Hubby did a system restore before I read your latest reply and everything is now as before, so at least we've got v3 to use. He will try your latest suggestion in a few days when he can spend a bit more time with the desktop again.

Do you, or anyone else, have any idea why the message

Another application has exclusive access to the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Logs\virlog.dat'. Please shut down all other applications, then click Retry.

during uninstall of v3 was shown when no other apps could be found to be running?

Thanks again for your help.

iambeavis 12:10 12 Mar 2009

I think your problem was that the Eset Service hadn't been disabled by the built-in uninstaller. If, at a later date, you decide to uninstall Nod32 try shutting down the software and disabling the Eset Service before uninstalling.

brundle 13:51 12 Mar 2009

No idea regarding the virlog.dat file. I agree with the above post.

bretsky 17:27 12 Mar 2009

I normally use Revo uninstaller, used it when I went from V2.7 to V3 and will do the same when going over to V4, just waitng to see what others make of the new version.

click here

bretsky ;0)

Little Flower 19:54 12 Mar 2009

Hubby's not going to be able to do anything more for a few days, so will show him all this when he's able to get back to it!

iambeavis - I guess that's the ESET services in the Services folder? I think I can see what you mean.

bretsky - Hubby couldn't remember what he did when he went from v2.7 to v3, but the Revo suggestion sounds good, thank you.

Will let you know how it goes next week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?