Trying t install Vista - 'Intsallation was canceled'?

buel 19:32 12 Sep 2014

Hi, I have my Mum's 7 year old Acer Aspire 5732 Vista Home Premium and Im trying to perform a fresh install with what I think is a Vista installation DVD (It is a blank DVD that I think I downloaded and burned a Vitsa 'Recovery' image on to). I get to the point of choosing which language, keyboard type, etc, then to the stage where I get the option to input the key, I chose to bypass this for now, then I get hit with the following message: Installation was canceled Install Windows Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Intsall.wim. The file does not exist. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070002

Please can I ask what I should now do?

rdave13 19:35 12 Sep 2014

First thing I'd do is to check the surface of the DVD to make sure its clean and no heavy scratches on it.

buel 21:25 12 Sep 2014

Hi, I have. Please can I ask if there is anywhere where I can download the image for Vista Home Premium?

buel 12:49 13 Sep 2014

Hi, Thank you for that. Please can I ask which link would be appropriate for my Mum's Vista Premium computer?

Jollyjohn 15:00 13 Sep 2014

Have a look here click here This is Acer support site - it mentions eRecovery for your laptop - have you tried this route?

There is usually a recovery partition and you can reinstall / repair from there.

The user guide is a zipped file so I haven't had a read of it but it should tell how how to start the eRecovery process.

buel 19:23 13 Sep 2014

Hi there. There is no recovery partition, just a Cd drive. Also, thank you so much for the link, I have inputted the serial number and all the drivers have come up but can not see the 'eRecovery'??

buel 19:27 13 Sep 2014

Damn....got it!! :)

buel 19:47 13 Sep 2014

Wow!! This is an amzing tool, I didn't know it existed. Please can I ask is there a similar inbuilt tool for Medion laptops?

buel 20:12 13 Sep 2014

Hmmmm......it's been 15 minutes and it's still on 0%.....fingers crossed...

sharpamat 06:56 14 Sep 2014

Normally with Acers recovery is access by the start menu under Acer. The advantage with Acer is you are not restricted to the number of backups you can make. Recovery partition is well hidden, unless its been deleted, such as using Incorrect copy of Vista,( the correct one would have used the already registered OEM not asked for a number )which may well have formatted the system. With the correct Acer Disc the COA on the laptop will work as the COA will be the Correct OEM number others may not work.

The Acer site will give you the correct drives, however I think you may well end up with a doorstop

As for Median you can normally get a set of recovery discs for a small charge

buel 08:32 14 Sep 2014

Thank you all so much. The laptop is now successfully back to it's factory settings and seems to not need any drivers, etc, just needs to get rid of the bloatware and install the various antivirus, etc.

Can i ask what you mean by 'End up with a doorstop'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone