Trying to Roll Back Windows Media Player 11

TicTacToc 14:27 02 Dec 2006

Ok, I am having many problems, that seem generally unsolveable. The last thing I want to do is reformat. . as it will take me months to get back Windows to how I like it.

My problems include the inability to use any web streaming surface, Firefox crashing + freezing all the time but only when I have a one or more videos open in a tab .. e.t.c

I followed the instructions from the windows website.

I am logged on as an Administrator (i.e. my account type is 'administrator' but my name is something different)
When I go into the add remove programs, select Windows Media Player 11 and click remove, it says starting to roll back, then 2 seconds later says 'Roll-back is completed'.
However WMP 11 is still there, after a restart and everything else I try, and I can't roll back the runtime 11, because it says WMP 11 is still there.

The file sizes are both 10mb which seems a bit odd..

Any ideas?
Thanks

SANTOS7 14:34 02 Dec 2006

click here
detailed instructions in the link.
hope they help..
You might want to consider some sort of BACK-UP procedure "taking months" to restore your computer is obviously not the way to go, Backing up all your important files/docs is paramount in case of fatal error you can do this to another HDD a partitioned HDD or removable media such as DVD...

TicTacToc 15:52 02 Dec 2006

Santos - I kinda exaggerated a bit with the 'months', I do have all my important data backed up, its just I wouldnt enjoy installing all my programs and getting all my settings and stuff back e.t.c.

The instructions in that link are the ones I have followed, but nothing happens at #4: it says it has successfully been rolled back, but WMP 11 is still there. . so I can't delete Runtime and restarting does nothign. .

:(

SANTOS7 16:00 02 Dec 2006

Not sure where to go now, Have ya tried a re-install
rather than an uninstall

anskyber 16:03 02 Dec 2006

Are you XP or XP MCE?

Hertz Van Rentyl 16:04 02 Dec 2006

You may have a restore point saying "installed media player 11" this will be the state prior to your update.

Technotiger 16:07 02 Dec 2006

As a matter of interest Acronis True Image will give you a Complete backup of Everything on your pc, including programs, all settings etc.

Backed up to a External Harddrive, it is the best way to go.

TicTacToc 16:07 02 Dec 2006

anskyber - XP Home SP2

Hertz Van Rentyl - It was too long ago - my system restore only goes back the last 1 or 2 months. I installed WMP more like 4 months ago.

anskyber 16:09 02 Dec 2006

In that case it could be a Beta version not the final WMP 11 version, will look further.

birdface 23:56 02 Dec 2006

You can delete WMP from C Cleaner, The only thing is I dont know if it will roll back to the previous edition.

TicTacToc 17:41 03 Dec 2006

I just tried with CCleaner, but I think it only deletes the history of WMP.

anskyber - now I think about it, I think I did install a beta when I first installed it, but have since tried to reinstall the main versions, although I am not sure whether the remnants of the beta might be playing a part.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?