trying to resolve error 0xc0000185 but this is creating other errors...

Florio 20:03 24 Nov 2014

My sons's laptop was suddenly affected by the Blue Screen of Death, apparently due to error 0xc0000185. My efforts to fix things without having to do a clean reinstall of Windows 8.1 (by using an ISO on a USB stick and choosing repair) have not been very successful. They have led to me getting various messages including error 0x8007051a (unable to do system restore), and another telling me that the drive where windows is located is locked. Initial attempts to run CHKDISK /R and SFC /SCANNOW brought up the message Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation, then when I got finally got CHKDSK /R to run, everything was apparently okay. A successful run of SFC /SCANNOW, however, resulted in the following, which I'm hoping someone can interpret:

SFC /VERIFYFILE=c: \windows\system32\kernel32.dll SFC /SCANFILE =d: \windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\OFFWINDIR=d:\windows

I gather that this driver is the culprit. What is the problem exactly, and how can I correct it? Thanks to whoever can help me out. Florio

Bris 21:41 24 Nov 2014

Check out the "tips & more information" section in this link. Also note the bit about the drive letters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?