Trying to reinstall xp

JOHN F K 23:57 02 Sep 2006

I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP Home. I've got to the stage where it's telling me that I can't install multiple operating systems on the drive. I don't want to do that, I just want a clean new XP installation. I don't understand too much about partitioning drives. Can't I just replace my current installation?

Strawballs 00:26 03 Sep 2006

Yes you ok it at the point of mulitipul operating systems then it asks you if you want to formatt the drive first.

rdave13 00:42 03 Sep 2006

If you've backed up all your programs and are happy to loose all then reformat your hard drive and install windows. This will take you back to as a new start. Make sure that your cd/dvd drive is the first to boot from.

Put xp disk in optical drive, reboot and follow instructions to reformat and install windows. Remember to register again within 30 days.

rawprawn 08:58 03 Sep 2006
  JOHN F K 11:42 03 Sep 2006

I was trying to reinstall Windows XP because I was getting disk errors on startup. Files which I couldn't remove were going into the windows/temp folder and the only way I could start the PC was by cancelling the disk check. I was advised to reinstall XP as it wouldn't do a repair.
Earlier on, I inserted the Windows CD and followed all the commands, including OKing to install over the old OS, and after a fairly long period where it was checking the disks, it told me to restart. Upon this restart, the machine booted up normally with no disk checking required and my usual desktop appeared. All appears to be working normally.
So have I reinstalled Windows (I think not) or has it performed a repair? Maybe I shouldn't complain if it's working.

bretsky 12:40 03 Sep 2006

If you have repaired the installation, you need to go the the windows update site to reinstall all the security patches & hot fixes to make you XP installation secure again.

bretsky ;0)

alan2273 12:49 03 Sep 2006

Follow the advice given by bretsky, as you have done a repair install.
To do a completley new install you would have had to format your drive first then install Windows.

Did your XP disk include SP2, if not you will have to install that as well.

JOHN F K 13:01 03 Sep 2006

That's just it, I don't know if it's done a full repair or not, because EVERYTHING, including SP2 which isn't on the CD and all the updates, seem to still be in place and working normally. The only thing different is I'm not being told that one of my disks needs checking when I start up.

terryf 13:08 03 Sep 2006

If it ain't now broken, don't try to fixit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone