trying to reinstall win 98

martynd 21:30 23 Oct 2007

i am trying to install 98 on a sony vaio pcg z600re it is second hand so i don't have any of the original disks however i have managed to get as far as fdisk and format and have got the pcmcia cd driver on a bootable start up floppy.But when i start set up from the cd drive it gets as far as scandisk then i get a message that there is not enough free conventional memory to check a drive. and that i may need to remark (REM}some device drivers from your CONFIG.SYS file. Or, in your CONFIG.SYS, you may need to load the EMM386.EXE driver to load your other device drivers into upper memory blocks using DEVICEHIGH= statements.
"HELP I'M NOW LOST"

I am Spartacus 21:33 23 Oct 2007

Some guidance and examples at click here

I've forgotten all that stuff now:o(

pk46 21:42 23 Oct 2007

When you have formated the drive you must set up a DOS partition and make it active you will require a W98 floppy and disk you will also require your mobo disk for the laptop to reload the drivers if you haven't got these you will have to see if they are still available.

woodchip 22:06 23 Oct 2007

So what discs do you have? and do you have the 98se Key

woodchip 22:10 23 Oct 2007

Download your drivers from click here

You can get a 98se boot disc from click here
Tenth file from top After you have downloaded the File put a clean Floppy in the drive then double click the above file. Do you have the 98se CD and key

martynd 22:14 23 Oct 2007

I HAVE 98 DISK WITH KEY AND 98SE UPGRADE DISK
PLUS 98SE START UP FLOPPY ONTO WHICH I HAVE LOADED THE PCMCIA DRIVER FOR THE CD ROM

woodchip 22:29 23 Oct 2007

If you have a Floppy drive and CD drive you do not need the PCMCIA card. Start with the Floppy and choose Start with CD rom support It will load a Ram Drive into Memory and CD drivers. You need to have the Win CD in the Laptop. When it gets to A:\> type
E: and press enter key then at E:\> type setup it will run scandisk, then press X to exit scandisk.

PS al this if you have created a Partition and Formated the C: drive

woodchip 22:30 23 Oct 2007

Remove the drivers from the Floppy that you put on it

woodchip 22:31 23 Oct 2007

Remove the drivers from the Floppy that you put on it Unless the CD drive works through the PCMCIA slot

martynd 22:58 23 Oct 2007

I NEED THE PMCIA DRIVER AS LAPTOP ONLY HAS PMCIA CDR DRIVE' I HAVE RUN FDISK TO CREATE THE PARTITION AND FORMATED THE DRIVE I THEN PUT WIN 98 CD IN AND TYPED SETUP IT GETS TO THE LAST PART OF SCANDISK THEN SAYS I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH PHYSICAL MEMORY

Graham. 23:07 23 Oct 2007

Please cancel the Caps Lock.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017