trying to reformat laptop

davo1967 21:46 11 Apr 2008

hello all, I have a packard bell easynote and i think i may have picked up a virus and i'm trying to reformat using a master dvd which i was prompted to make when i first used the laptop, problem is i keep getting error message: computer incorrectly configured would anyone know what this means ?

Forum Member2 22:09 11 Apr 2008

have you added more ram or changed the hard disk?

davo1967 22:27 11 Apr 2008

no not touched it, posted the same question on the packard bell website and someone has replied saying i need to prepare the hard drive, stumped !!

woodchip 22:28 11 Apr 2008

Why format? all you need do is start the computer with the disc in the drive

woodchip 22:30 11 Apr 2008

If it does not start the restore from DVD, Press F10 as computer is starting and change BIOS to boot from CD as first boot device followed by Hard Drive. Save settings and Exit

Pamy 22:36 11 Apr 2008

follow woodchip's advise, be very aware of actually formatting the drive as laptops usually have hidden areas for restoring to original settings using the disk you are asked to make

tullie 22:39 11 Apr 2008

Cant you just get rid of virus?

davo1967 22:47 11 Apr 2008

the guy on p/b site said i have to re-enable the hidden sectors of the drive, he posted a link on how to do it, cant get it going though, as for the virus it is a trojan, and it seems to re-emerge every start up, any suggestions welcome though ?

RobCharles1981 23:31 11 Apr 2008

As tullie says can you get rid of it?

If so

What Antivirus and Spyware Protection do you have on your laptop??

gazzaho 00:53 12 Apr 2008

It may help to switch off windows restore before disinfecting the virus with a virus scanner as sometimes a virus scanner can't clean a system properly with it enabled. I had a problem a while back which drove me crazy, re-appearing after re-starts, until I discovered the infected file was listed as in the restore file.

I don't know if this will help at all, I just thought I'd mention it.

woodchip 10:19 12 Apr 2008

Trojan, is not a Virus, its the payload it can put on your computer thats the problem. Can also phone home. You need to use a trojan finder. A free Remover trojan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?