Trying to make a montage using MS Publisher

pj123 15:50 08 May 2007

Have got two weeks to come up with a photo montage as part of a course. The basic idea is, say, a Living Room as a background.

The college has given us all a list of some objects that need to be incorporated. (alarm clock, mobile phone, cctv camera, Big Brother, credit cards, Sky Logo, aeroplane, thought Police and a guy in a shower.)

I have got all those photo's together as I have got a 2 CD set of Hemera Photo Objects.

The problem is they all have a white background and I would like the background to be transparent so that when they are incorporated into the main overall picture the “Living Room background” can still be seen.

Eg. If I put the alarm clock on the mantlepiece against a light blue wallpaper, because the photo is square there is white space around the edges of the clock.

I have tried PSP 7 but can’t find how to make the background transparent.

Can someone help please?

fitshase 16:02 08 May 2007

You need to get into using layer masks in PSP7:-

- Show the layer palette (icon with red and turquoise square on the toolbar)
- Start with the background image as layer 1 (default).
- Click Layers and select Duplicate
- Now, save your image as a .psp file (this will keep your original intact.
- Open the alarm clock image.
- Click Selections and select all (or select the item using the lassoo tool.
- Switch to your background image and select Edit, Paste as New Layer.
- Now, move the layer into position on the image.
- Now, click Masks, New, From Image.
- Source should be "This Window" and leave the rest as default (i.e., top selection).
- Now, click Masks, edit.
- Choose the Paintbrush tool and select Black as your colour.
- Start to paint over the alarm clock and all will be revealed.

Choose black to bring the alarm clock into view and choose white to hide the alarm clock.

Repeat the steps for each item (apart from duplicating the background layer) making sure that they are all layers.

pj123 16:30 08 May 2007

fitshase, thanks for that.

But that is a two week course in itself.

I have printed out your post and will give it my best.

Thanks again.

pj123 16:51 08 May 2007

All good down as far as "Switch to your background image and select Edit, Paste as New Layer" All the options in Paste are greyed out???

Did I miss something previously?

fitshase 18:16 08 May 2007

OOPS! Sorry, line 6 should read:-

- Click Selections and select all (or select the item using the lassoo tool) then click Edit, Copy.

You need to copy the alarm clock to the clipboard before being able to paste it. Sorry for the confusion!

fitshase 18:17 08 May 2007

Revised list for ease of use and printing:-

- Show the layer palette (icon with red and turquoise square on the toolbar)
- Start with the background image as layer 1 (default).
- Click Layers and select Duplicate
- Now, save your image as a .psp file (this will keep your original intact.
- Open the alarm clock image.
- Click Selections and select all (or select the item using the lassoo tool) then click Edit, Copy.
- Switch to your background image and select Edit, Paste as New Layer.
- Now, move the layer into position on the image.
- Now, click Masks, New, From Image.
- Source should be "This Window" and leave the rest as default (i.e., top selection).
- Now, click Masks, edit.
- Choose the Paintbrush tool and select Black as your colour.
- Start to paint over the alarm clock and all will be revealed.

MAJ 18:23 08 May 2007

Another way to do it is to cut each object out of it's background and paste them "as a new layer" onto the background, no need to worry about masks.

pj123 18:29 08 May 2007

fitshase, thanks. Going to try it again.

tomtojo 21:35 08 May 2007

bookmarked

pj123 17:24 09 May 2007

Thanks again Guys but just realised that these instructions are for making the montage in PSP.

I need to make the montage in MS Publisher. All I want to do in PSP is to remove the white background bit so that when I "Insert" the picture in to MS Pub still shows the main background behind it.

eg. the background picture I am using "living room" is actually smaller in PSP than the object "alarm clock" that I am trying to insert. But in MS Pub I can resize the background to A4 landscape size and make the alarm clock as small as I like.

MAJ seems to have the idea but I don't know how to cut the object out of its background.

fitshase 22:25 09 May 2007

Sorry, I don't use publisher. I thought it was just to make the montage and then insert it into publisher.

MS Word has a button to set the transparency on a picture file. I don't know if you could do this in Publisher (the button is a pencil with a triangle at the end).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?