Trying Linux need help with Firefox!

six-h 22:30 17 Nov 2010

How do I erase a FF remembered login?
I foolishly agreed to FF remembering one, and it was wrong! Now can't log in to the forum concerned!!
also, is there an equivalent to the IE8 "compatibility view", because PCA Site seems to be in need of it!

woodchip 22:38 17 Nov 2010

You need to find the Firefox Options, Look in Menu then look under security settings it may be under Passwords I use Flock Browser, its different in every Browser on where to look

woodchip 22:39 17 Nov 2010

If you are trying Live Linux running from Bootable CD it will not be remembered when you shut down

GaT7 22:46 17 Nov 2010

The 1st one: FF > Tools > Options > Security > Saved Passwords > highlight the necessary one ONLY > press the Remove button.

The 2nd one: Are you asking if FF running in Linux has a IE8 compatibility view? G

six-h 23:14 17 Nov 2010

Hi Woody, thanks for that, I've found out how to erase the stored password but still unable to find an equivalent to "compatibility view.
I'm not using a live CD, I've taken the plunge and installed Linux 9 Lxde
Crossbow7, thanks, I found the password store!
Yes I am asking if there is an equivalent to IE 8 Compatibility View, for FF in Linux.
Another irriation is that I can't "Auto scroll" with a click of the mouse scroll wheel.

six-h 23:42 17 Nov 2010

Hi 124, it might just be the machine's lack of resources. It's only got 288MB RAM, and that's the system max!
when the page loads, the two side panels are all in "negative" and the centre bit is like ruled paper.
sometimes the text of the side panels overlaps and it can take about 30/40 seconds to resolve.
I could do with finding an equivalent to the "Intranet" setting in IE8, that gets rid of most of the ads which take so long to load on this machine it slows browsing down painfully!

ashdav 23:43 17 Nov 2010

You can't use IE compatability view with Linux as there is no IE to refer to.
In Linux versions of Firefox the options are under the Edit tab not Tools.
Go to Edit/Preferences/Advanced/General to change the scrolling options.

ashdav 23:44 17 Nov 2010

To block ads use Adblock Plus click here

six-h 23:56 17 Nov 2010

Hey! ashdav, thanks for that!
Nice to have auto scrolling back!
Installed Adblock Plus and it's improved the re-load speed.

LastChip 01:16 18 Nov 2010

You may find installing Opera would be better with that amount of memory.

You are running right on the lower end of the memory spectrum and it seems Opera may take less resources than Firefox.

If you've never installed anything in Linux before, I suggest you do it via your package manager (probably Synaptic) and then it's a piece of cake. Simply select what you want to install and then click apply; that's it! The application will be downloaded for you and installed along with any "dependences" that are required. (dependences are other pieces of code that are required for the main application to run). In most cases and certainly in the case of mainstream applications, a menu item will automatically be added as well.

You can also install from "source", but if you're not sure what that means, you probably shouldn't attempt it until you have a little more experience and knowledge.

In the meantime, welcome to the world of Linux and enjoy!

six-h 13:07 18 Nov 2010

This is the reason I was after something similar to IE8's "Compatibility View" :- click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone