trying to get rid of this spyware

Beverley Anne 15:48 10 Feb 2008

Today I ran the spyware part of zonelabalarm pro
it says I had spyware I choose to delete it and then restarted my xp computer I then did another scan it is still there in my temp folder.
"perplex.dll" is the file I can't seem to get rid of this. When I click on delete I'm informed that this is been used by another program.

I booted up into safe mode went into the folder where it is so I could delete it but it wasn't there.

Restarted the computer normally went back to the fold and it now there.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this permanently?

VoG II 15:56 10 Feb 2008

I think that this is part of MidAdl. Try a-squared click here

Beverley Anne 16:44 10 Feb 2008

Ok Thanks for replying downloading now.
I couldn't figure which program this perplex. dll goes with so I disconnected for the internet opened the folder where this dll thing is and stared to close and restart the programms one by one in the taskbar I recently installed Typing Assistant version 2.21 for some reason the latest one keeps freezing so I installed the early one. Well I closed this one went to the temp folder and I was able to delete it I restarted the software perplex.dll popped up again.

I really like using this software but I don't know if this perplex.dll is harmless.

Any thoughts

skidzy 19:51 10 Feb 2008

VoG™ is spot on,its adware !

Chances are its installed via a toolbar,as this has so many registry entries,you are going to struggle to totally remove this without expert help.

This will reproduce/reinvent itself upon every reboot,creating the mutiple registry entries every time.

I could advise a few programs as most can,but i believe you are going to need help on this one.

Download Hijackthis click here

Post the log of the HJT scan at the Malware Removal Forum click here

Some info here on MIDADLE and the perplex.dll click here

If you wish to try yourself to remove this and have no joy with asquared;

Download Superantispyware click here update and run in safemode.

Look in add and remove programs first and remove any toolbars that may exist,things like Messenger Plus come bundled with adware etc.

Beverley Anne 08:57 12 Feb 2008

skidzy,

Thanks for replying. Since I was last here I've decided to uninstall the typing assistant software. The perplex.dll is no longer showing in the temp folder. I rebooted and rescanned the zonelabs spyware software that came up clean.

I then restarted the pc and ran a-squared nothing showed up there either so I am hoping that it's gone for good.

Thanks for the good advice gonna copy and paste to notepad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone