Trying to get laptop to connect to BT Broadband

houndtang 22:41 22 May 2010

Hi, here's the setup. I have BT Broadband via a SpeedTouch 330 modem on my home PC. I'm going to be working from home using a work laptop that I need to connect to the internet using my own Broadband connection.

I've managed to install BT Broadband and the drivers for the modem on the laptop, and the modem and laptop seem to connect OK but when I try to logon to BT Broadband I keep getting an 'invalid password or username' message even though the details I'm entering are correct. When I enter the same details on my PC things work fine. Any ideas?

Cheers

mgmcc 07:25 23 May 2010

Is it possible that the Laptop is using a different version of Windows with which your modem won't work?

For example, when moving from XP to Vista many users found they were no longer able to use a USB ADSL Modem and instead had to change to using a Router.

ISPs these days provide new subscribers with Routers rather than USB Modems so, if the problem is with moving to Vista or Windows 7, explain this to BT and see if they will provide you with a router - normally their "Home Hub".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017