Trying to format a new drive

jaimie 15:33 25 Feb 2007

Think I must be gettin old but I'm installing an additional drive as a slave. Maxtor 200 Gig. I've downloaded Maxblast from the Maxtor site but when I try to run it from the floppy by booting from it it won't run and I can't format this drive, running Win XP SP2. I have done this before but can't remember how I did it, anyone help please?

Kind regards

James

Smiler 15:37 25 Feb 2007

Why not just go into XP and format it there.
Right click on my computer, click manage, click disk management select disk and format.

Fingees 15:39 25 Feb 2007

With xp, you shouldn't have to use maxdrive.
I seem to remember you run Fdisk first, which analyses the disc,and makes a partition. then you have to run format.

jaimie 15:47 25 Feb 2007

I appreciate what you're saying guys but I can't see the drive in my computor because it's not formatted
XP did say it had found a new drive when I started the comp but there is no sign of it anywhere

Kind regards

Jaimie

uesquebeathus 15:56 25 Feb 2007

have you tried going into control panel / Administrative tools/ computer management/ disc management / the drive should show in there as an unformated drive

you can download Paragon drive manager which has almost all drive utilities for free

click here

jaimie 16:08 25 Feb 2007

Thankx uesquebeathus, I did as you suggested and it worked.

Many thankx to all who answered

Kind regards

James

Smiler 18:11 25 Feb 2007

What uesqebeathus suggested is what I said in my original post it was just a different way of getting to the same place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?