Trying to convert W98se to WME

spuds 12:46 06 Apr 2007

A neighbour as obtained an old Pentium computer with Windows 98se installed. On suggestion they want to upgrade to Windows ME, but there lies a problem. Installing the WME disk gives various error messages and will not boot from the disk. Looking in Add/Remove there is a part which asks whether we want to create a WME start-up disk using a floppy. Commence the procedure, and after 50% the procedure fails, suggesting lost files.

Going into the computer W98se, I have found that trying or even attempting booting from the full version WME disk is getting problematic. Is there any way or suggestions of a simple straight forward way of disposing of W98se and converting to WME on this computer. Should mention that looking at old Microsoft Archive material really doesn't suggest much.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:48 06 Apr 2007

convert W98se to WME

don't bother 98 is the better system ME was absolutly terrible and fraught with problems.

rodriguez 12:52 06 Apr 2007

I also had an ME machine and it used to crash a lot and was quite unstable. It was a while since I had it but from what I remember it would lock up over the smallest of things. It's still probably best to reformat and do a clean install of 98 though to make it run smoother.

VoG II 12:53 06 Apr 2007

I agree - ME was extremely flaky when I had it.

€dstowe 12:53 06 Apr 2007

I agree with Fruit Bat /\0/
My memories of WMe are fraught with horror - quite the worst operating system to come out of Microsoft. Don't do it. 98SE is far superior.

rodriguez 12:58 06 Apr 2007

I forgot to add, this machine that used to have ME is now happily running XP (it's my dad's) and it hardly ever crashes. This just points out that the ME problems weren't hardware related. ;-)

colberly 13:18 06 Apr 2007

No help at all, but I still am using ME since the outset with no problems, but if the PC runs OK with 98se then I would leave well enough alone.

Legolas 13:36 06 Apr 2007

Like colberly I ran ME with no problems whearas I had many random crashes with 98 but also as said if 98 is running ok then leave well along. If you definately want to go with ME reformat and do a clean install.

spuds 13:38 06 Apr 2007

but this is not quite the answer that I was looking for. Its an old computer, and I used WME with fairly good results, so we wanted to give it a try. XP or Vista are out of the question, due to age and components plus cost involved.

Its just a case now, of 'how' to do the conversion from W98se to WME. If the conversion doesn't work, for any reason, then it will be a case of back to W98se.

spuds 01:06 10 Apr 2007

I have now converted the computer from W98se to WME click here Everything seems to be working fine now, and the neighbour is very pleased.

Thanks again everyone.

Ticked as resolved.

Jak_1 03:25 10 Apr 2007

Yikes! ME was a nightmare on my old machine nowhere near as stable as 98se. I was glad to see the back of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?