trying to connect new laptop to existing router

gerryp25 22:43 01 Sep 2010

Hi , I have the Thomson Gateway 585 ethernet cabled router connected to desktop , everything works fine.
I have just bought a laptop but can't get it to run from router Wi-Fi, it just keeps saying there is no internet available, while the desktop broadband keeps working away.
Any ideas to get it receiving signal?
Thanks for any help

Strawballs 22:49 01 Sep 2010

You say it is a ethernet cabled router, does it have wireless built in?

northumbria61 22:58 01 Sep 2010

It needs to be a Wireless Router to be able to connect.

MAJ 23:14 01 Sep 2010

Make sure the laptop's wireless card is turned on, usually by holding down the Fn key and pressing an F key, F2 for example.

MAJ 23:18 01 Sep 2010

Also make sure that the router is broadcasting a wireless signal, usually indicated by a steady green light on the front of the router, probably named WLAN.

gerryp25 22:03 02 Sep 2010

Thanks everyone, yes it is a wireless enabled router and the laptop worked on another router of a friend, the green light is on also.
There has been a development today , whilst reading a computer mag I saw how to do it, it suggested that I pointed to the wireless symbol on laptop and click to see what it picked up, it immediately picked my ISP and all it wanted was router password.
Hopefully it's now sorted!!
Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?