Trying to connect my router

KNic 00:20 13 Apr 2008

I'm trying to connect (without much success) a Linksys Wireless G ADSL Gateway to my desktop in order to have wireless connection for two laptops. Having made all the connections, I get all the green lights except for the internet connection to my ISP (TISCALI)that one goes red. The not very helpfull instructions tell me that I do not have an ISP connection but do not tell me how to overcome this problem. So it's all back in the box now!
If anyone can tell me in very simple terms where I'm going wrong and what I should be doing I would be very grateful.

BurrWalnut 08:17 13 Apr 2008

Have you set up the router? If not, have a look at the manual.

If you don’t have a manual, type 192.168.1.1 into a browser address bar to access the router. You will be asked for the user name and password, try admin for both.

Once you’ve accessed the router you need to enter your Tiscali details, e.g. user name and password. You should now be connected to the internet.

ambra4 12:26 13 Apr 2008

Did you get a manual with the unit I would suggest you take a read and find the router

access code user name and password as you will need these to access the router to set it
up

If no paper manual check the cd that should have come with router as there should be a
pdf manual on the cd

How to set up the Router

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for set-up is Not recommended to access router set-up at any time.

Plug-in the 2-way filter that came with Modem/Router into the wall jack

Connect Telephone Cable that came in the box to the ASDL/DSL Socket on Filter and to the ASDL socket on the Router

If you had a Telephone connected to the wall jack before, plug the phone into the socket on the filter mark Phone

If you have any Phone extensions, Fax Machine, Answering Machine, etc, an ADSL filter must be installed on each wall jack

Connect a RJ45 Ethernet cable from Port 1 on the Router to the LAN socket on your laptop

Power up the computer only and check the following: -

If any firewalls are installed on any of the PCs, uninstall them.

This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom, Cisco VPN Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, Comodo, PC Tools Firewall Plus etc.

In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it.

Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly

Download this program and install and remove the firewall program

click here

ambra4 12:31 13 Apr 2008

How to set up the Lan card and network on the PC

Web Browser Settings

Internet Explorer 4.0 or Higher

Start IE web browser. Select-Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab

In the “Connection” screen, there are three selections:

“Never dial a connection”,

“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”

“Always dial my default connection”.

If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.

If you cannot make a selection, select “LAN Settings”

Untick marks next to any of the displayed Options:

“Automatically detect settings”,

“Use automatic configuration script”

“Use a proxy server”.

Click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page.

Network Adapter Setup on all Computers

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)

Click-Start-Settings-Network Connection

Double-click on the “Network Connection”

Left-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your network adapter

Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.

In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked

At bottom of display tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected

A display Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup

Click-Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Click the “Properties” button

Select “Obtain an IP address automatically

Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically”

Click- Advanced-Click-WINS Tab-Tick-Enable LMHOSTS Lookup if untick

Do Not Change Any Other Setting

Click “OK”.

Your computer network card is now configured for use with the Modem/Router

ambra4 12:33 13 Apr 2008

Other Lan Card Setting

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Click- Flow Control-Change to Enabled if Disabled

Click-Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

Once you have set up the LAN card and network on the laptop launch your Internet browser IE or Firefox

Power On The Router And Wait 1-2 Min’s until it synch with your broadband ISP

Once you have set up the LAN card and network on the laptop launch your Internet browser IE or Firefox

Power On The Router And Wait 1-2 Min’s until it synch with your broadband ISP

In the URL address box type the code listed in the manual that will allow you to access
the router set up pages enter the username and the password

Once you have access the router click the set-up wizard or quick start menu on the left
side of page and use the following setting

Connection Type = PPPoA

VPI/VCI = 0/38

Encapsulation = VCMUX.

DCHP = Enable

Enter the User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

Save and close the browser

Reboot the router by power it off and back on and Wait 1-2 Min’s until it synch with your

broadband ISP

You should now be able to access the Internet

ambra4 12:34 13 Apr 2008

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is
always blank

If you have any blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Router
Setup and Lan Card setting

All router have a reset button at the back of the router, which will reset the router back to
the factory default setting if required

It is sometimes desirable to reboot the router by Power it off and back on by removing

the power cable if you cannot access the Internet or find that access is very slow this will

allow the router to refresh the setting from your ISP servers

Once you have set up the hard wire system and can access the Internet you can than setting up the wireless side

Do One Thing At A Time

ambra4 12:34 13 Apr 2008

Setting Up The Wireless System in the Router

Access the router and click the Wireless section in the router setting

Make sure that the wireless is Enable

You now have to set-up the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come set-up with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network, 452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should also change the Wireless Channel No the default is normally Channel 11 which most persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low signal quality from other network close by using channel 11

If requested a wireless connection mode use: - 802.11b/g mixed

Which is the most common wireless system around there is also a N system so if you set the wireless system to 802.11N only N type wireless cards / adapter will be able to connect

Save this information on a flash drive using note pad as the same SSID name Channel # and Security Code must be used on All wireless device when setting then up to access your wireless system you just copy and paste the information when requested

Save the setting and log out of router

Laptop Wireless Device Setting

Most laptop computer these days comes with a building wireless card; some required you to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch on the laptop

Or using the FN (Function) key you have to hold down the FN key and press the key with a small antenna icon to turn on antenna for wireless card

You can also check that the wireless card is Enable/Disable from inside the Network Connection Area

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

Scan for wireless system available from the laptop and click on your network SSID name

You will than be requested for the SSID name an security code enter the same information as you had in the router and you save to the flash drive you just copy and paste the information into the correct box

If you get it wrong the router will not allow the wireless device to connect to the wireless system or allow access to the Internet
Question said by first time user of ADSL Wireless Broadband

The PC hard wire to the router does not have to be on for the wireless system to work

Once the router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

With a hard wire system the LAN card connect speed at 100Mbps, the wireless system connect speed at 0Mbps -54Mbps depending on the distance, amount and thickness of walls, quality of signal etc

You cannot see the wireless system from a hard wire PC only the Local Area Network Connection

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

You should not have both the LAN and Wireless on the same PC connect at the same time.

As this can causes conflict within the router

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps on older laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

Using a build in normal wireless card or adapter to connect to a 108Mbps, 125Mbps, 300Mbps, wireless router will only connect at 54Mbps

You must buy a separate 108Mbps, 125Mbps, 300Mbps, USB adapter or PCI card for each wireless device you want to connect at that speed.

KNic 19:58 13 Apr 2008

Thanks for the feedback, it got me most of the way.
Set up wizard disk wouldn't load so had to download it from web site.

Then wizard tells me that I need to up-grade "firmware". So, back to web site only to find that up-grade for my model is not available.

A rather stroppy e-mail has now been sent.

Would therefore suggest that if anyone thinking of buying a router avoids purchasing a LINKSYS WAG4GS.

ambra4 21:24 13 Apr 2008

No you don't load the wizard disk just access the router and set up the system from inside the router pages

Kemistri 00:46 16 Apr 2008

"Would therefore suggest that if anyone thinking of buying a router avoids purchasing a LINKSYS WAG4GS"

I assume that you mean the WAG54GS, in which case, anyone who knows a bit about networking will know to ignore that suggestion.

Seems like an RTFM fault, if you'll excuse the blunt and earthy acronym. Don't use the wizard, which is not much cop to be honest; enter the configuration menu directly from a browser per the first post and follow the manual to the letter. And make sure that you have all conceivable ISP/ADSL account parameters and that they are correct.

Kemistri 00:48 16 Apr 2008

click here if you have not got the PDF.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?