Try this for unsuccessfull Defender updates

BigRik 12:36 01 Apr 2006

Quite a few people have problems updating their Windows Defender, myself included on occasions, so I thought I'd post this (from the Microsoft site) which goes through the manual process step by step. It has so far worked for me every time.

1. Remove the current signature file. To do this, click Start, click Run, type Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}, and then click OK.

2. Open Windows Defender. To do this, click Start, click Programs, and then click Windows Defender.

3. Check for new definitions. To do this, click the Help options arrow next to the Windows Defender Help icon, click About Windows Defender, and then click Check for Updates.

When its finished checking for updates, Defender should tell you its fully updated and the new signature file should show on the Defender home page.

Regards.

ACOLYTE 12:59 01 Apr 2006

Nice info BigRik could help people with there updates problem,that is if they search the forum before posting.It may be better to copy and paste instead of typing it in as there is less margin for error.

BigRik 13:16 01 Apr 2006

Absolutely. Searching the forum first seems to be forgotten quite a bit. I did think about adding that the fix should be copy and pasted, but thought most people would do that anyway. Many thanks for highlighting that.

gudda96 18:17 01 Apr 2006

Ta BigRik

will try it.

Acolyte
""that is if they search the forum before posting""

do you mean by doing aserach or going back through postings in general?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?