Trust USB mouse wont install on Vista

DJ-Garry 15:50 20 Oct 2007

Hi guys.

I have just got a Trust MI-6950R laser USB wired mouse to use on my shiny new Vista Laptop (Acer 9303). The docs state plug it in first, let it auto detect and start working, and THEN install the software from inclosed disc. Vista finds a driver, not sure if it's pre loaded or found it on the net, starts to install it, then pops up an error:

Problem encountered installing driver. The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Win 95 or later.
Visit device website for driver software.

So I downloaded the driver from here (click here), chose the Vista 64 bit one (is that right??) but it still wouldn't work. Tried installing the software from the disc, still wouldn't work. Tried un-installing all the software to start a fresh, couldn't un-install one of them, and had to do a system restore to get back to where I was !!!!

All this time, the mouse wouldn't work at all. Not even as a very basic HID device. The box has a 'Certified for Vista' logo on it so I know it SHOULD work.

Any ideas guys??

Cheers, Garry.

aine 16:02 20 Oct 2007

are you certain that your system is a 64bit, try the 32 bit, most systems are. My pc is a AMD64 version but the system is 32

woodchip 16:13 20 Oct 2007

Have you pressed the button on the adapter? and quickly press the button under the mouse

DJ-Garry 16:19 20 Oct 2007

Oh woodchip.... Do pay attention PLEASE mate.
It's not wireless !!!!!

aine.

I just checked and my system is not 64 bit!!.
Now I've got it all un-installed, I could have a go at the 32 bit version.

Trouble is, the mouse won't even start to work as a standard HID mouse which it's supposed to before you install the software.

tullie 16:54 20 Oct 2007

You can allways use the pad on laptop to navigate until you are sorted.

woodchip 16:56 20 Oct 2007

Sorry But I am getting on a bit

woodchip 16:58 20 Oct 2007

Yes do it through Add New Hardware, in Control Panel if you have the disc. Only problem with some is you have to run a setup file, and windows cannot see the driver in it

DJ-Garry 20:52 20 Oct 2007

Can't seem to find add/remove hardware in Vista.

I know woodchip hates Vitsa and hasn't gone over yet so can anyone else help me manually install this mouse please?

Cheers

DJ-Garry 20:53 20 Oct 2007

By the way. It installed first time on my XP desktop so I know the mouse is good !!!

woodchip 22:34 20 Oct 2007

In the Control Panel Vista, on the left click classic mode to see if it reveals Add New Hardware Wizard

Technotiger 22:46 20 Oct 2007

I think Add/Remove in Vista's Control Panel is renamed something like 'Programs and Accessories' but otherwise it works in the same way as XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?