True Sword is reported by Spybot but cannot remove

AndyGNRC3 13:56 10 Aug 2006

Spybot is reporting True Sword with associated file C:\WINDOWS\eSellerateEngine.dll. It does not seem to be able to "fix" the problem either interactively or at boot time.
What is True Sword and how come it is appearing in what appears to be part of the Windows COM package?

VoG II 14:17 10 Aug 2006

Have a read of click here

Try Control Panel, Add re Remove Programs.

AndyGNRC3 14:34 10 Aug 2006

Thanks VoG but I cannot use Add Remove for C:\WINDOWS\eSellerateEngine.dll as it does not appear in the list.
Looked at Spyware Warrior who seems to think Spybot does a decent job as long as one has other Spyware/Adware protection (I have AVG Pro, Zone Alarm Anti-virus and Ad-Aware, none of which have flagged True Sword) I'm sure I could remove the DLL file if I really wanted to but my query was more about What True Sword and eSellerateEngine actually are as I have been unable to track down any info on either.

vinnyT 14:44 10 Aug 2006

Run spybot in safe mode, this should allow spybot to deal with the prob, as none of True Sword should have been loaded.

Hope this helps.

VoG II 14:45 10 Aug 2006

My link above to Spyware Warrior gives information on True Sword - it is a rogue anti-spyware program. Does it appear in Add/Remove programs? If not it is probably a false positive detection by Spybot.

AndyGNRC3 14:54 10 Aug 2006

I reckon it must be a false positive as nothing else picks it up and the file flagged seems to be part of COM package.
As I have absolutely no sign of any performance issues or similar I guess I'll just ignore it.

Thanks VoG and vinnyT.

vinnyT 12:56 11 Aug 2006

Welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017