True CPU temperature reading - where from?

Probabilitydrive 19:09 25 Sep 2007

I just tried to replace an Intel stock cooler with a Zaward Sylphee cooler on my QX6700 system.

Everything went well - or so I thought - until I fired up the system and it promptly shut down. I knew it must be a CPU overheat issue.

On removing the cooler I noticed, that -even I tried hard, and heard the snap-sound of it Intel like pins - they were in fact not securely fastened to the mobo and the thermal paste 'Arctic Silver 5' was just a pathetic puddle in the middle of the CPU.

I put back Intel stock cooler (using some considerable force to get the pins in) and all seem to be well.

Question: The Temperature now (measured in BIOS) is about 52. 'Speedfan' shows 47 and 'Core temperature' shows 61....

Which of these is reliable reading?
Are these (idle) temperatures ok?

Final thought: I recently installed a cooler with a thermal pad already applied. I found this a good solution until I learn to handle thermal paste properly...(well and slotting everything place...)

skidzy 19:56 25 Sep 2007

The bios idle figure seem a little high to me.

If your other readings are from within windows and depending on whats running using Speedfan,i would say ok if only slightly high.

QuizMan 20:14 25 Sep 2007

This is what I use.
click here

Probabilitydrive 20:24 25 Sep 2007

Thanks, I'll monitor the temperature in BIOS, but will use QuizMans recommended programme for comparison.

I read that it takes some 100 hours (??) for the thermal paste to 'cure'. Meanwhile I have a roomful of citrus aroma...blame it on Arctic's thermal paste remover and surface purifier.

Probabilitydrive 15:41 28 Sep 2007

For the record.

I had a second go in installing the Zaward Sylphee CPU Cooler. This time it worked!

A few thoughts...Using Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste is a tricky affair. Arctics web-site gives you instructions on how/how much/where you have to apply it on the CPU.

However, following the instruction to the letter (on the Intel stock cooler) produced a disappointing results (checked the temperature in BIOS).

Today I removed the Intel Cooler and as I expected, the surface of the CPU was mottled with thermal paste and not at all homogeneous but mottled. (the reason for the poor temperature reading in the first place)

For my second attempt, (after cleaning, purifying the surface..etc..) I applied the paste to the CPU in a matchbox sized drop. I used then my (plactic bag wrapped) finger to spread it as evenly as possible).

I then installed (having had to use considerable down force to the INTEL Cooler like pins) the new Cooler and the temperatures (see above) dropped by about 5 to 6 degree.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone